10/100 card not recognized.

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firemed9
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom

10/100 card not recognized.

Post by firemed9 »

I just re-installed windows XP on my Dell desktop. After installing all the drivers that came with the computer, it still will not recognize the ethernet card, and when i try to tell it to reinstall, it doesnt do anything. I have tried everything i can think off to get it to re-install with no success. Any ideas as to whats wrong, or what I can do to fix it? The computer recognizes it as a broadcom card.
Higgy
Lieutenant, FF/EMT-Paramedic
Protective Services Officer

"Train as if your life depends on it, because it does."

No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Did you install the drivers for the card? Otherwise, it will see the card but it won't work properly, if @ all. Also make sure you disable the onboard ethernet port in hardware config.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
ku4zs1

Post by ku4zs1 »

Is this the built in ethernet port on the Dell, or an add-on card you added later? If its the built-in card, provide me with the Dell model number (usually something like Dimension #### or Optiplex ####) and I will send you the drivers for your card.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

He's saying that it's an add-on card, hence my suggestion to disable the onboard.
The Batlounge admin
firemed9

Post by firemed9 »

I appoligize, it is the onboard card that is causing all the fuss.
the system is a Dimension 2400. I was tired when i wrote the initial post and didnt quite explain what was screwed up. Its the onboard ethernet port that isnt working.

ku4zs1 - if you have the right driver for this, can you email it to shiggins@maine.rr.com Thank you.

Steve
Higgy

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Ah, now that makes a bit of difference! Sorry, ku4zs1!
The Batlounge admin
ku4zs1

Post by ku4zs1 »

This must be a laptop.

In either case, if this was an addon card, disabling the built in card would not solve any problems, but it might make it easier to determine which of the two ethernet cards under device manager you are wanting to fix.

According to the Dell website, this should be the driver. Download the file and if it comes with a Setup program, run that. If it does not, you will need to go into device manager, choose "install driver" and tell it where the files you downloaded are. Lemme know if you need any walkthroughs on that. If that fails, then it could be a hardware problem.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... iceid=3597
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Use the Dell automatic driver support, it will scan what you have for hardware and recommend the drivers, download and install, reboot, and done.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
firemed9

Post by firemed9 »

This isnt a laptop, its a desktop, but I will try the drivers you sent me.

The dell auto driver support wont find the correct driver on the computer, and without the ethernet port I cant connect to the net to search for the proper driver.
Higgy

ku4zs1

Post by ku4zs1 »

I just downloaded that driver file to see how it operated. It is an executable that unzips itself to the default folder of c:\dell\drivers\r(and some numbers), and then runs a setup file. Just keep clicking next or yes, and it should install automatically. If it does not, let me know and I can help you install it manually.
firemed9

Post by firemed9 »

I want to thank everyone that helped me out. ku4zs1's link with the drivers fixed the problem the minute I installed them. I am extremely greatful t o you guys and the mods for adding this section to the board.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Higgy

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”