Fried Maxrad MLPV antenna

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Fried Maxrad MLPV antenna

Post by apco25 »

Pulled this antenna off the mount on the ride today after a car wash. 56F for a high, not bad for January!

Its a Maxrad MLPV series can 430-480Mhz. Top half of the coil came off instead of the whole antenna. Pull off the ring and found the weather seal was compromised, lovely green corrosion and melted rubber on the NMO and the center push pin contact had migrated away from center.

SWR was fine when this antenna was installed. Any ideas?

Sorry the image isn't very clear. This Fugi FinePix camera picks up the slightest shake and give u lousy images. I hate it!.

"Some men just don't know their limitations"
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

APCO,

Contact MAXRAD they would probably like to see it. I run 110 into them all the time and no problems.

Stan
Stan Glass

Government & Entertainment Division Manager (Kenwood)
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

is your COAX/NMO rated for that power???

I know it sounds simple.. but I've had the center conductor that was soldered to the coax, ON the NMO mount itself, heat itself up to the point it desoldered itself....

I later learned that the coax/connector assembly I was using, was not of sufficient quality to use high power.....

~100 watts into a 5/8 , btw
apco25

Post by apco25 »

I hate to be snippy, but you obviously have no idea of quality of the parts I use for installs.

The NMO mounts are Maxrad shielded MMF model with SMA female connectors attached to LMR-195 coax, not some cheap RG-58A/U.

Stan,

Fed 110w here as well. Emailing the pic to maxrad today. This is clearly abnomal.

I have other MLPV antennas in service on various frequencies including the same UHF split at 110w and they are just fine
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i did not think those antenna could handle 100 watts
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Yes they can, all bands.

The antenex brand only handles 60w or less. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Once I hear back from Maxrad I'll post their thoughts.
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

The Antenex Phantom/Phantom Elite handle 60W on VHF, 150W on UHF, 150W on 800/900MHz, and 100W on 2.4GHz.

Jeff
apco25

Post by apco25 »

That's what I think he meant, the VHF models.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”