Do I Have a Recased Radio?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB5AKO

Post by KB5AKO »

Fellas,

I have a Systems Saber 3 that has an adhesive sticker with a serial number on it. This number matches the number on the tag that is on the back of the radio. However, whenever I read the radio with my RSS; the serial number is different. I am looking at F4 then F7 View History. Shouldn't the serial number in RSS match up to the label on the back of the radio.

Victor, KB5AKO
kb5ako@sbcglobal.net
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

One way I check to see if any radios that I purchase or work on have been re-cased it to look for pry-marks where you would normally pry to remove the case. A fresh new case obviously wouldn't have any because it's new, but check on the actual frame part of the radio that you pry against and see if there is anything obvious. This is not to say that the radio wasnt serviced internally at some point either, tho.

To answer your second question, yes, the Serial Numbers should infact match up.
KB5AKO

Post by KB5AKO »

Ok,

But the serial number should be the same on the case as what RSS reports, right?

Victor, KB5AKO
kb5ako@sbcglobal.net

Rayjk110 wrote:One way I check to see if any radios that I purchase or work on have been re-cased it to look for pry-marks where you would normally pry to remove the case. A fresh new case obviously wouldn't have any because it's new, but check on the actual frame part of the radio that you pry against and see if there is anything obvious. This is not to say that the radio wasnt serviced internally at some point either, tho.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Do I Have a Recased Radio?

Post by wavetar »

KB5AKO wrote:Ok,
But the serial number should be the same on the case as what RSS reports, right?
Yes, it should.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
akardam

Post by akardam »

If it's a Systems Saber chances are there won't be any pry marks, as they just slide right out of the case with a minimal amount of force.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Pry marks???

I have worked on at least a dozen Saber's now, loosen the nuts and pull out the guts.. Ok, that sounded bad if your mind is in the gutter. LOL

I don't see why you would ever have to go prying on a Saber to decase it?

As for the serial number, if someone slammed in another codeplug wouldn't that change the serial number?

I've got a couple radios that i know for a fact haven't been recased because the case and the label on the right side of the frame by the PA module have the same serial numbers but the radio's electronically stored serial is different than those.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I have only worked on 1 Saber, (long time ago) so I wasnt exactly sure on how the case came out. (Didn't have to remove it, just a reprog.) I had assumed they were like the rest of most Motorola HT's in that you would have to do a little prying (ie CP200, XTS, HT/JT, P1225 etc...)
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Is the serial sticker on the inside of the radio on the front shield? If so, then the front shield and case could be off of a model III that was FUBAR and they could have used a model I and the parts off of the model III. This would give you matching serial numbers on the parts, but a model I serial when you read the radio.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
1 Adam 12
sk

Recase

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Remove the case, if your capable.. and look on the outside frame side opposite the PTT side..... Often there is a sticker with the serial number.

If it came from a large agency or government, a case swapped by accident is not uncommon.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”