Nissan Xterra install info needed!!!

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cipher77

Nissan Xterra install info needed!!!

Post by Cipher77 »

Anyone ever install radio(s) in a late model Nissan Xterra?? If so, what mounting system did you use for the radios (remote mount & dash mount) & what company makes good mounting hardware for an Xterra?

Antennas....perm mount NMO or glass mount? If perm mount where did you place them (due to rack on roof)?.

Any info would be awesome.

Thanx,
Cipher77
The Grabbing Hands, Grab all they can. Everything counts in large amounts. Martin L. Gore
mmtstc
What radios do you own?: HT1250, MCS2000, Spectra A4

Post by mmtstc »

as far as antenna goes, i am in the same situation as you and when i do my install next week, what i am plannign on is placing a Antennex Phantom VHF mounted onto the roof rack of my '03 protege.
I woudl proclaim myslef to be a total idiot as far as msot fo this stuff goes, btu if you actively use the rack to carry toys, id think the phantom series might be the best way to go with it permanently mounted to the roof.
anyone knwo if the rack is oging to be of huge interference/directional causing?
Paramedic / Dispatcher
Minneapolis / Rochester
1 Adam 12
sk

Nissan Exterra

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Whats the plate made of, thats at the front of the roof rack ????... maybe some NMOs and low profile antennas, if its metal along with a grounding strap ??
Another option may be to get a metal plate that can be bolted across the roof rack, and mount your antennas on that, and then run the cable and a grounding strap into the tubular bars on the rack and bring them in thru one of the probably already existing or may have to enlarge holes. I did a vehicle with a roof rack 2-3 years ago and brought the antenna wires in on the underside of the racks tubing, ran it 2 feet forward in a hole drilled inside the tubing into the roof to the interior of the vehicle.
Depends on the the design ... will see if I can find one today in a parking lot to look at.. :D
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

I have an Antenex Phantom on my truck right now on high band and have been testing it. I am not really impressed with it. Recieve and transmit are not very good at all (compared to a whip). Basically it is the rubber duck of mobile antennas.

On the Explorer at work and on several customers' trucks/vans with overhead racks we just put the whip right in the middle toward the front just like any other car or truck on an NMO. Load the ladders/pipes/antennas/low band cavities to one side or the other of the whip. That TRAT would be no different. It is pretty large in overall size and if you hit it with a ladder it would surely bust in pieces. At least a whip would have a chance of surviving.

Birken
irsa

Post by irsa »

Have a look at the Xterra Owners Club website. I think there are a couple of guys over there with ham radios.
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

Hey irsa,

gotta link by any chance? I was looking @ a couple of them this weekend w/o any real info.

Thanx,

Cipher77
The Grabbing Hands, Grab all they can. Everything counts in large amounts. Martin L. Gore
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

nevermind...................

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

bump
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Check out http://www.brademel.com. He's does some work on his.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”