Slightly off topic General install question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Slightly off topic General install question

Post by Jay G. »

Ok, so here's the problem. Every time I do a vehicle install, I find myself using silicone or household adhesives. I also find myself ruining shirts and pants from getting silicone on them. Anyone have any tips for cleaning the goooooop off? Unfortunately, most times it dries before I can get it off.....

thanks!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

wwhitby

Post by wwhitby »

When I do installs, I either wear old clothing that I don't mind messing up, or if its not too hot outside, i'll wear a Tyvek coverall.

Warren
ANB_Medic
was sja505
What radios do you own?: Jedi's, MCS's, and Waris

Post by ANB_Medic »

Xylene is good for getting silicone off of things. Not sure if it's legal to have in the US, however.

Todd
Sorry, I can't treat stupid...
eboe

Post by eboe »

regular kitchen vinegar gets silicone off of surfaces like glass or vehicle paint, but i've never tried it on clothing or anything porous.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

Go down to the feed store and get some coveralls. I have several pairs of Dickies for when it's warm, and some Walls insulated for when it's cold.

Jeff
Tech225

Silicon

Post by Tech225 »

I use latex gloves when I'm applying silicon or other adhesives. As soon as I'm done I peel them off. That seems to keep the mess to a minimum. I'm more worried about getting it in the wrong place on customers cars than on me.
ab
What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

What do put it on to get it all over yourself?
I only seal the light bar cable when I'm done on the roof. Then I use a glove, I also use gloves when I pull out all the equipment from a unit going out of service. The gloves are cheap, a box of 100 for 12 bucks at wallgreens. It saves a lot time cleaning up and keeps the old waste (puke,:o,piss) from back seats in cop cars off your hands also.

Now if could only get that gold paint off my face by Monday.
ab

still lurking here
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Slightly off topic General install question

Post by spectragod »

Jay G. wrote:Ok, so here's the problem. Every time I do a vehicle install, I find myself using silicone or household adhesives. I also find myself ruining shirts and pants from getting silicone on them. Anyone have any tips for cleaning the goooooop off? Unfortunately, most times it dries before I can get it off.....

thanks!
Try doing them in the nude, latex/silicone, can be your friend. :D :D :D

SG
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

ab wrote:Now if could only get that gold paint off my face by Monday.
From huffing, the Superbowl or both?? 8)

Ditto on the gloves....cheap and clean.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”