has anyone heard of a mx360

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

clinton_radloff

has anyone heard of a mx360

Post by clinton_radloff »

Hi, i brought 2 mx360 radios. ive fitted 1 of them with nln9998c batteries. 1 problem i blew the battery up so it does not even charge anymore. im sourcing two more from a friend who happens to deal in motorola radios. the other problem is. when i turn the radios on (the one with the keypad on it) it contuinously beeps. does that require programming like my MTX810 (see other posting on this). so what does the keypad do. can it work like a mobile phone or trunking system or something like that.
i can provoide a picture on request.
Clinton
clinton_radloff

Post by clinton_radloff »

i have two of those mx360's.
one with a keypad
one without the keypad
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Plain MX360s are crystal controlled, and rarely worth spending money on.

The synthesized models are the MX360S, which are programmed with a computer, but again, parts are scarce, radios are old...NOT worth investing good money into...leave on the desk as a paperweight/conversation piece..

Enterprise.....One to beam up!
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

MX-360S Models use a prom module which must be programmed with the suitcase programmer. I am unaware of any computer interface which can program the module. The last versions of the modules used eeproms which can be reprogrammed, but only with the right module on the suitcase programmer, and only with the suitcase programmer.

The majority of MX prom modules are one-shot types which can only be programmed one time. However, sometimes there are unused channels and banks in them which you can write to and still make use of a used one-shot prom.

The actual prom is an smd part, epoxied inside the metal module cap which screws down on top of the synthesizer module.

The -SP model with the keypad should have a DTMF encoder. A fairly large order of UHF models went to the Bell System companies as service crew radios. You can use it to control an autopatch, but it is still a non-duplex radio.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Sounds like you have some version of a "S" series. If there is no prom or programming on that channel, it will beep continuously. As far as being old, maybe, but I still maintain about 75 -100 of them. They are tough, not like the POS Motorola has made for them from maylaysia
dfc2

MX360

Post by dfc2 »

Check the Top of the radio. If it says MX-300S it has the promm. (in Red under the antenna on the top of the radio) If not, then it has crystals.

Model number should be something like the following.

H43SXU3120AN

H= Handheld common to all the MX series
4 = High power on the hand helds, 2 would be a 1 watt radio
3 = VHF 1 is low band, 4 is UHF, 5 is 800 Mhz
SXU = programmable promm. some came with re usable promms
also has Encryption, unable to tell if DVP or DES unless you look at the modual and get a part number

AAU = is crystal radio
AXU is crystal with Enxryption
31 = PL, 11 is Carrier Sq. 61 is DPL

It should be noted, there were a number of special products noted by the model number ending in SPx (H43SXU4120SP06) you could get them with special single tones, scan, trunking ( on the 800 radios) almost anything if you were willing to spend enough money to get it.

I love them, but could never afford to get the R1801 programmer to get the Synth radios going.
1 Adam 12
sk

MX 360

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Does it by an chance say MX 360 T.. Whats the model number... but guessing on the symptom you've described. You have an MX 360 trunking radio in 800 MHZ. Its pretty much a conversation piece. The radio uses a combination of 5 channel elements and control boards with programmed chips to operate on first Motorola trunking systems. Yes the radio could do telephone on the systems. Pretty much useless other than a display.
But if you provide either a model number or what the top has in the way of knobs we can confirm what you have.
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

The MX360 radios are excellent radios. I have several of them. They are a good way to get a pair of encrypted radios if you have need for encryption now-and-then. I don't think you'd wanna carry an MX360 every day, but they are great for backups or if you need encryption now-and-then.

As discussed above if they have the one-time burn EPROMS there are usually empty slots on them that can be burned, and sometimes you'll find the re-burnable EEPROM modules in the radios and they can be done over and over. I have had several burned and I know several people who have the equipment to burn them. If you can find one that has the prom in it and the encryption module in it then getting it going is just a matter of tuning up and programming. If you aren't moving far from the freqs that the radio is tuned up for when you grab it then you likely will not even need to tune it.......that has been my experience anyway.

I've found the radios with the encryption modules and proms in them at hamfests for $5 and $10; like I said, easy inexpensive way to get into encryption.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Justin
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”