Windows Defender (Beta 2)

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Windows Defender (Beta 2)

Post by Jim2121 »

ok.....looks like we have (or I got a new download) from Microsoft..

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

anyone else? looking for comments JR
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's the next Beta version of Microsoft's "MS Antispyware". I haven't installed the Bit Defender version yet, but have found the MS Antispyware to be a fantastic program, as long as you leave the "real time protection" turned off. It'll cause even the fastest computers to slow down to a crawl with it enabled. The MS Antispy was just "Giant Antispy" renamed, which was always a great program, so MS bought them out. I have seen it pick up tons of stuff that Adaware & Spybot S&D missed, so it's a great download in my opinion. Get it while it's free.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Windows Defender (Beta 2) newsgroups

Post by Jim2121 »

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

Like all software it has its problems....

"real time protection" turned off. Todd? I have it on, and nothing has slowed down maybe I was lucky; than some of the folks who posted there problems in the newsgroups?
Administrator

Re: Windows Defender (Beta 2) newsgroups

Post by wavetar »

Jim2121 wrote:http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

Like all software it has its problems....

"real time protection" turned off. Todd? I have it on, and nothing has slowed down maybe I was lucky; than some of the folks who posted there problems in the newsgroups?
I suppose it might depend on what else is going on with your computer...and to be fair it makes a much bigger difference on start-up times than actual performance once your machine finally finishes booting up. I just know I've had to turn it off on many computers due to slooooowwww boot times. I still think it's a great program, no question.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”