Jedi rapid chargers, 12v supply

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Jedi rapid chargers, 12v supply

Post by videonerd »

I'd like to run two Jedi rapid chargers in my car. Seeing that the power supply is 13.8v, I figure that it would be fine in the vehicle. Guess not. The red light turns on to charge for a second or so, then it blinks orange.

I just figured I could save the hassle of going through an inverter/powerbar/wall warts. Do I need to build a regulated 13.8v power supply for the charger?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

First, your vehicle should be at least 13.5V at idle... usually over 14V when the engine is idled up. Personally, I'd try hooking the charger cup up to a variable power supply... see how picky it really is.

Regardless - you're building a kluge. The Right Answer is a real mobile charger... designed to run on vehicle power, in a big, rugged box, with a strap over the top to retain the radio/battery during charging.

I picked mine up (later revision, compatible with all the Jedis as well as the XTS portables... later revs have a bigger hole for the XTS face to fit in) for about $125 on eBay.

You're probably better off spending money and getting something purpose-built rather than trying to make what you have work.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Done dozens of times. I have never had an issue.
I suspect a charger base issue.
Is the power the right polarity (center positive)?
Does it work OK with the AC adapter?
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i've used just a regular 12v adaptor with with the rapid base many times too and never had a problem. flashing yellow is a battery problem. i'd say you have a bad battery or base too.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Motorola actually sells a kit to hold the desktop rapid charger onto the dash, and provides a cigarette lighter cord to power the charger, so it's not an unusual configuration at all. If the charger works normally on the wall charger, I'd say to check your vehicle wiring to the charger...you possibly have low voltage or a poor ground.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
1 Adam 12
sk

Mobile charger

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Also the Advance Tec aka motorola conditioning chargers are made to run on 12 volts DC, the battery is charged with no radio attached in a lay flat charger, which makes it nice for the vehicle since the battery snaps into the charging cradle, also due to the charging system, they won't fry your batteries.
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

Thanks guys, you're right... it DOES work, but something fried in the charger on the way to the car. It doesn't work with a known-good Motorola wall-wart now either.

I just opened the charger up, seems like there's some corrosion of sorts in a small area.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”