Mobile Power Connectors

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

aaronp

Mobile Power Connectors

Post by aaronp »

Does anyone have a good alternate source for the 12 volt power connectors that Motorola likes to use on their mobile radios?
I tried Mouser, but I don't even know what these things are called.
I tried "Power Connector" "DC power cable" and a bunch of other things, but never found what I wanted.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I believe you would have to buy the entire power harness to get what you are looking for. Most likely the OEM part number you are looking for is HKN4137A. You ought to be able to find some aftermarket vendors that make these.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I have the same problem. I bought quite a few of the connectors from Parts Express several years ago. Unfortunately, I've run out. I've got no problem finding the connectors with 18ga. wire (even Radio Shack sells them), but finding them with 12/14ga. wire is a near-impossibility.

I ordered a few from Kendoo to hold me over for right now. They're about $8 and are complete power kits (that look suspiciously like Moto cables... probably made in the same Malaysian factory.)
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Are you talking about the two pin trailer plug type power connectors? If you got a RV/Camper dealer or supply place around you have a look. I found some at a place that sells campers with everything from 18 to 8awg wire a foot or two foot long.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

also try a stink ohh i mean ham fest for the trailer style
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Tower Electronics (http://www.pl-259.com) sells 1ft long jumper cables in several wire sizes. You could use one of these and splice your own wire to it. They're certainly inexpensive enough. Look for them in their power cable section.

I've bought some 18ga short jumper cables from a truck parts place for about $1.50 each. They work well in repeaters to power up preamps, controllers, fans, and even MaxTrac receivers and 12w transmitters.

What we really need is a plastic or rubber shell and the male and female pins that go inside, with NO wire, that we can solder our own cable to, of any length. But I guess since the real part is molded, there's no easy way to get something that an end-user can assemble and utilize.

Bob M.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Grumble... Tower has 16ga. and 10ga. 10ga. is too hard to work with... 16ga. is too small. Why doesn't anyone produce the damn things in 12/14?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

You can get seperate male and female bullet connectors and crimp and size wire you want to them and plug the two contacts together seperately but that's the best i know of. I haven't ever seen one of these plugs without a pigtail of wire.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

Kendoo makes a decent Motorola power cable. It's 14ga I think, and like 15' long complete with inline fuse holder. They can be had for <$10 usually.

Jeff
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I would have said to order one from Waltel.com, but well... :D

JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

No fear, I wasn't the only person selling them. You can buy them directly from Kendoo for $8 at http://www.kendoo.com/radio_data.asp?SKU=M-25

Jeff
aaronp

Post by aaronp »

Thanks for the kendo link, and all the other help.
I found out that they are called "bullet" connectors.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”