JT1000 vs MT2000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DewAddict

JT1000 vs MT2000

Post by DewAddict »

Hi,

I just bought an MT2000 and I like the radio but I miss the ability to input frequencies and tones as I travel around the state. So I have been looking at a JT1000 instead. I know they are limited to 16 channels and No Alpha display but other than that can someone tell me the differences?

Can I program a Scan as I do on the MT2000? Can I select Hi/Low power? What functions will the "ABC" switch have? I am told both radios were made around the same time.

All I am concerned about is scanning and Hi/low Power and a good display. If I can do that and the the screen is backlit I may look to trade up as long as the JT1000 has a similar lifespan.

Thanks,

Rob
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I believe that they will preform all the basic tasks with the exception of signalling, I.E. MDC, GeStar, QC Formats, etc, I know for a fact cannot be had on a JT1000.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

later JT1000's could do QC II decoding, I believe it has to have a f/w of 3.xx IIRC. But still no MDC, GE STAR, Alpha tags, etc. Alot of money for a 16 channel radio, basically just an HT1000 with FPP. If you want a ham radio any ham dualband HT (The Yaesu FT-60 comes to mind) is so much better for traveling. 1000 channels, two VFO's, wideband RX...for under 2 bills...new with a warranty.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
e231

Post by e231 »

the ht1550xls would be the next step up form the jt. The 1550 allows 160 modes, fpp with the correct battery, and multiple scan lists. You cannot edit the mode names on the 1550 without plugging it up to the cps. Next in line ( at the top) is the xts 5000 with fpp which allows freq, pl, and mode name entry. Of course the 1550 and the 5000 are a lot more expesive than the jt. I have had a jt vhf and a uhf and they are fun to play with for a while, but then you get a 1550. The 1550 is definately worth the difference in my opinion.
xts2500-vhf, uhf
spectra-vhf, uhf
kc0qgl

Re: JT1000 vs MT2000

Post by kc0qgl »

[quote="DewAddict"]Hi,

Can I program a Scan as I do on the MT2000? Can I select Hi/Low power? What functions will the "ABC" switch have?

The simple answer, yes, for scan and power.
The ABC is mutiuse. I can't remember all of them.

I have my MTS2000 setup as follows;

scan= blue button

Hi/Low= top I/O switch

ABC= channel bank select

black bottons= top light, bottom temp. ch. delete in scan

orange botton= simplex-duplex select

Hope this helps

kc0qgl
SD70MAC

Post by SD70MAC »

I have both MT2000 A7 160 chand JT1000. The MT but I very rarly carry it anymore,my JT is THE BEST RADIO EVER!!! I would go with an HT1550XLS because it will upgrade for future, I am planning to get one myself. This is how I have my JT programmed:

A: scan
B: scan off
C: scan program

SB1 : select\nu-delete
SB2: MSPL(multi select pl)
SB3 : monitor
Orange top button: DTMF(only option)
concentric switch: Keypad lock(only option)

Standard menu items:

Hi/lo power
squelch set 0-9
channel,pl/dpl,band

I have hacked mine to Gov mode(no progamming key!)

Posted: 25 May 2006 14:17 Post subject: JT1000 vs MT2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just bought an MT2000 and I like the radio but I miss the ability to input frequencies and tones as I travel around the state. So I have been looking at a JT1000 instead. I know they are limited to 16 channels and No Alpha display but other than that can someone tell me the differences?

Can I program a Scan as I do on the MT2000? Can I select Hi/Low power? What functions will the "ABC" switch have? I am told both radios were made around the same time.

All I am concerned about is scanning and Hi/low Power and a good display. If I can do that and the the screen is backlit I may look to trade up as long as the JT1000 has a similar lifespan.

Thanks,

Rob
SD70MAC out

My collection;
XTS5000 VHF FPP,XTS3000 VHF M1&M3,XTVA,XTS2500 UHF Q FPP,Astro Spectra"s W3 VHF,W9 VHF,W7 800,HT1250 35-50,XPR4500 Q,2 CDM1550LS+ VHF 160ch,CDM1550 X 160ch VHF 25w,MAXTRAC 42-50 32ch,CDM1250 42-54
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

I have a VHF JT1000, with the latest and last firmaware of 3.02. The radio looks identical to a 160ch full keypad MT2000.....and you can change hi/lo power, squelch (1-8), Band (wide/mid/narrow), freqs (tx/rx), pl/dpl......the orange button is stuck as DTMF, you push it once and the screen says DTMF and you can dial the tones, the concentric switch is stuck as keypad lock/unlock, I have mine set for:

A/B/C switch:
A = Scan "On"
B = Scan "Off" normal setting
C = Scan Program (use Blue/Teal button to turn each Ch to off/non-priority/priority)

Blue/Teal Button: Select (for programming scan list and scan nuisance delete)

Side Button 1: MSPL (Multiple Selectable PL)
Side Button 2: Monitor

The radio will last exactly the same as a MT2000, because it is the same exact body, same accessories and batteries, same color etc.

The latest firmware radios will do QC II Decode but no signalling
and it is no longer made by motorola...so you have to buy it used....mine is "mint" I am the second owner and the first bought it new from Utah Communications, and only had it a month, till he sold it to me....I love this radio....I have all the manuals for it, service books etc., RSS, Cables....origianl receipt, original tags...

If you buy one, try to get the latest firmware of 3.02 AND most will require the "key" to be able to change freq's using the keypad....it looks like a accessory connector that goes on the side....some will have the Gov't codeplug....which means that you can change freqs without needing to use the key, ever......Some people will try and tell you, or sell you on the ideal that they have a "Special" Federal or Gov't model....thats not true....they are ALL the same.....with the Gov't codeplug any JT1000 can be made to work without the key...thats all it is...theres no special model out there...wether you should change from a MT2000 to a JT1000 depends on what you use it for? they each have their own attributes.....I'll tell you this...a nice JT1000 will sell for a whole lot more then any MT/MTS2000 will on the used market...

I mainly use mine for 2mtere use...and for our Countys OES/Sheriff/Fire freq's, since their all on VHF I can use one radio....but there is no way ANY ham radio will perform like a JT/MT/MTS Jedi radio....the speaker is way louder and crisper....the audio is much better....current Ham transcievers are junk I think, except for a few models out there....drop them once...and they die on you....besides, I have a complex about using any radio that comes with a Lanyard! ; ) I do like and use Yaesu/Vertex Mobiles though...
anyways, hope this helps with your JT decision...... David KD6RFS
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

fix: squelch = 1 thru 8 no smiley...
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

I have a VHF JT1000, with the latest and last firmaware of 3.02. The radio looks identical to a 160ch full keypad MT2000.....and you can change hi/lo power, squelch (1-8), Band (wide/mid/narrow), freqs (tx/rx), pl/dpl......the orange button is stuck as DTMF, you push it once and the screen says DTMF and you can dial the tones, the concentric switch is stuck as keypad lock/unlock, I have mine set for:

A/B/C switch:
A = Scan "On"
B = Scan "Off" normal setting
C = Scan Program (use Blue/Teal button to turn each Ch to off/non-priority/priority)

Blue/Teal Button: Select (for programming scan list and scan nuisance delete)

Side Button 1: MSPL (Multiple Selectable PL)
Side Button 2: Monitor

The radio will last exactly the same as a MT2000, because it is the same exact body, same accessories and batteries, same color etc.

The latest firmware radios will do QC II Decode but no signalling
and it is no longer made by motorola...so you have to buy it used....mine is "mint" I am the second owner and the first bought it new from Utah Communications, and only had it a month, till he sold it to me....I love this radio....I have all the manuals for it, service books etc., RSS, Cables....origianl receipt, original tags...

If you buy one, try to get the latest firmware of 3.02 AND most will require the "key" to be able to change freq's using the keypad....it looks like a accessory connector that goes on the side....some will have the Gov't codeplug....which means that you can change freqs without needing to use the key, ever......Some people will try and tell you, or sell you on the ideal that they have a "Special" Federal or Gov't model....thats not true....they are ALL the same.....with the Gov't codeplug any JT1000 can be made to work without the key...thats all it is...theres no special model out there...wether you should change from a MT2000 to a JT1000 depends on what you use it for? they each have their own attributes.....I'll tell you this...a nice JT1000 will sell for a whole lot more then any MT/MTS2000 will on the used market...

I mainly use mine for 2mtere use...and for our Countys OES/Sheriff/Fire freq's, since their all on VHF I can use one radio....but there is no way ANY ham radio will perform like a JT/MT/MTS Jedi radio....the speaker is way louder and crisper....the audio is much better....current Ham transcievers are junk I think, except for a few models out there....drop them once...and they die on you....besides, I have a complex about using any radio that comes with a Lanyard! ; ) I do like and use Yaesu/Vertex Mobiles though...
anyways, hope this helps with your JT decision...... David KD6RFS
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

why is this posting my messages twice???
DewAddict

Post by DewAddict »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the MT2000 for a while. I picked up an amp for mobile use that gives me about 35 watts out so that helped my signal while mobile.

I just received my Motorola Business account and I have been surfing around signing the software agreement and what not. I found that I can now order alot of stuff I might need for my MT.

People say my audio is low on the MT speaker Mic. I am not sure what the deal is. I have had the mic for years and used it all the time as a PO on an XTS5000 APCO25 SYSTEM with no problems. I'll have to check into it. Maybe its the mic element or something.

Rob
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

In the RSS, under 'Radio Wide Settings', make sure that AGC is enabled.

Most Jedi-Type mics will sound low without it enabled; I have it on on all of my Jedi portables and it makes a noticable difference. You will either like it or hate it.
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

Yes...just about to say the same thing....make sure AGC is enabled....AND you probably have the noise canceling mic....they make two, they look the same one is noise canceling and the other is reg......also, if you are using the AGC then always make sure you speak louder then the ambient surrounding noise...otherwise you might sound low audio...so, if using the noise canceling mic....and have AGC on, then whatever is going on in the background, speak louder then that......also, all the MT2000 accessories will work with the JT1000 if you ever get one....including the mobile amp....David KD6RFS
DewAddict

Post by DewAddict »

Hey you guys are good!! I do have the 6191B Noise cancelling Mic. I don't have the RSS yet but, can you tell me if the newest version as of February of this year will run on DOS mode of 98SE laptop?

I have read and read this forum without a certain answer. I called MOTO the other day for pricing and the tech said it woud, but I would trust real world opinions from here also. It figures that the software I need includes a DOS disk for my MT2000 as all the others can be programmed on windows 2000...lol

Rob
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

not sure....it should run okay on win98 in dos mode...I run ht/jt/visar ver.3.03.01 the latest RSS for these models on a winMe 700mhz laptop in a dos window....and it works fine...I do NOT think you should try it though....its supposed not to work this way...but since the JT only needs to be set once with RSS (usually) and the rest is fpp...I do it....and also, I dont have a older pc.....but you should be able to run MTSX RSS on win98 in dos mode no problem....if you already programmed your radio with CPS then maybe not....so, i would wait and let someone else answer this...but I know you can run it in dos mode with win98, I'm just no sure if it was programmed before with cps if you can go back to rss? dont want to kill your radio by not being sure....I know alot more about the JT and its features and so forth....David KD6RFS
DewAddict

Post by DewAddict »

Well I know the only way a MT2000 can be programmed is in DOS as the RSS is only on diskette so what I worry is if it was programmed with an older version, can I reprogram with a newer version??

Thanks for the reply.

Rob
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Keep in mind, if you care about such things, the JT1000 is not certificated for Part 90 Land Mobile use. It was; that certification was revoked some years ago.

So for use outside the ham bands, it's not legal.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I know that the MTS2000 has it's own CPS. I'm not sure what the difference is between the MTS and MT, but the "S" has CPS.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

the MTS is secure capable, the MT isn't.

Chris.. why do you think that part 90 authorization was revoked for the JT?

I just ran the fcc ID off my VHF and UHF JT's, and the latest authorization I find is dated 2001 (for the VHF), and 1997 (for the UHF), and includes parts 22, 74, 80, and 90.

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/e ... Z489FT3768
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/e ... Z489FT4780
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

techie wrote: Chris.. why do you think that part 90 authorization was revoked for the JT?
Because it's front programmable - the big no-no in Part 90. This at least is the info that's been put up here numerous times. I don't have one so haven't run it. If your research shows otherwise, I stand corrected.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

(e) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section,
transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz shall not be certificated
for use under this part if the operator can program and transmit on
frequencies, other than those programmed by the manufacturer, service or
maintenance personnel, using the equipment's external operation
controls.

(f) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section,
transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz that have been approved
prior to January 15, 1988, and that permit the operator, by using
external controls, to program the transmitter's operating frequencies,
shall not be manufactured in, or imported into the United States after
March 15, 1988. Marketing of these transmitters shall not be permitted
after March 15, 1989.

(g) Transmitters having frequency programming capability and that
are designed to operate above 25 MHz are exempt from paragraphs (e) and
(f) of this section if the design of such transmitters:

(1) Is such that transmitters with external controls normally
available to the operator must be internally modified to place the
equipment in the programmable mode. Further, while in the programmable
mode, the equipment shall not be capable of transmitting. The procedures
for making the modification and altering the frequency program shall not
be made available with the operating information normally supplied to
the end user of the equipment; or

(2) Requires the tramsitter to be programmed for frequencies through
controls normally inaccessible to the operator; or

(3) Requires equipment to be programmed for frequencies through use
of external devices or specifically programmed modules made available
only to service/maintenance personnel; or

(4) Requires equipment to be programmed through cloning (copying a
program directly from another transmitter) using devices and procedures
made available only to service/maintenance personnel.

I would say that a standard (non-government mode) JT1000 would fall under
90.203(g)(2) (password protection)
90.203(g)(3) (programming key)
90.203(g)(4) (cloning cable)

A regular Jedi would fall under 90.203(g)(4) (cloning cable)
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”