Charging a Saber Battery

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Charging a Saber Battery

Post by fogster »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but... I want to charge a (aftermarket) Saber battery, but don't have the Motorola charger. I use a Maha universal charger (MH-C777) to charge all my batteries, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to do the Saber one.

I can't quite position the charging prongs to let me use the top terminals, and I don't know which of the four bottom terminals I want. (Applying an LED across any given two produces nothing. It will light when put across the top terminals.)

Which two terminals on the bottom (back) do I want, or can I not even charge the battery this way?

Thanks for the help!
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

use the outside ones...

battery:

l O O . O O l
---------------

use the x ones

battery:

l X O . O X l
--------------

hope that helps, i have been using the same configuration for my ht1000, ht1250, mts2000, mtx8000, mtx950, saber, and visar batteries and had nothing but results..

good luck
I TURN THE KNOB, THE LIGHT BLINKS AND IT BEEPS.........THATS ALL IT DOES!!!!!!
PLEASE WORK!!!..just once, thats all...
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

You can also always use the radio terminals, but with a Saber battery you will have to put it a weird angle on the Maha.

I have single unit Saber Charger for sale for $30 shipped. PM me if you are interested.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Maha and Saber battery...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

My Maha works fine on Saber batteries. I position the battery
with the top terminals to the back left of the charger table as you
look at the unit from the front. I can get the movable terminals
in the correct position with this setup. Only problem with this
setup (on all batteries) is that if you jostle the charger table
you're likely to lose contact, so I tilt the right side of the charger
up so the battery rests against the terminals due to gravity.

But a regular Saber charger is easiest way to do this by far.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

You can always use the battery plate and terminals to adapt the charger to work on the Saber batteries as you simply clip lead the plate's contacts to the proper charger terminals.

Since the plate is the negative, you only need to worry about tapping the positive teminal, for which you can use the 'old' flex assy. from an old Saber case to make a connection from that, since the positive is fed through to a soldered barrel 'nut' that's on the flex assy in the case.

Just cut an old case down to about 3/8" thickness and solder a loop of wire to the point where the 'nut' pops through the bottom of the case and allows screwing the spring contact to it.

The metal battery plate hold the entire assy. together so you will not have to worry about loose connections once the plate is retained by the positive connection screw.

I know this was a H.S method to describe this simple adaptor, but it IS a lot simpler than I made it appear.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”