Motorola Keyloader battery adaptor?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Motorola Keyloader battery adaptor?

Post by oh2glg »

On the other day I was browsing on the Ebay for KVL, Key Variable Loader for my three Sabers.

There's one for sale that has a battery adaptor from Saber battery to KVL.

Have those been around for long? Is this adater an official Motorola accessory?

Since I found a KVL from elsewhere, but I'm still lacking a battery for it.
I was thinking if this adapter is still available anywhere?

Any of you guys have any spare adapters around that you might sell?
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

MOL seems to be having a bad day at the moment, so I'm at a loss for a part number, but someone was selling one here on the board recently:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=54605
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

It is a Moto original accessory, i had one for my KVL before i sold it all. I got mine from a guy on ebay that was selling KVL's with the adapter pictured on it. But in the listing it said the adapter wasn't included, so i contacted him like a few others did and bought one direct before he had a chance to list them seperately.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
oh2glg

Re: Motorola Keyloader battery adaptor?

Post by oh2glg »

oh2glg wrote:Any of you guys have any spare adapters around that you might sell?
Forgot to mention that if anyone has such spare adapter around, please send PM..
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

eBay seller "wesellforlessnotmore" has a few of these babies at the moment. unfortunately he wont give me any details, other than he wants $125 and he doesnt ship to my location :roll:
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

HA!

I saw that bozo, $125 is insane.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

oh2glg

Re: Motorola Keyloader battery adaptor?

Post by oh2glg »

kb0nly wrote:HA!

I saw that bozo, $125 is insane.
Well, yes it is! Asking for $125 isn't, but whoever is willing to pay such amount for that, surely is!

However, althoug those adaptors are rare, that kind of price leaves one to expect that it's atleast gold plated! ;)
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Well, screw paying $125 for a bit of plastic. I made my own.

I used an SABER battery that a friend had dropped, thus cracking the ridge at the top that slides onto the radio.. I got a used Alkaline battery with the unit itself, which I sacrificed.

All I had to do was use a dremel to open to bottom, then gut that battery pack. I then sat the saber battery in the charger to see what height the MX batt needed to be cut to so that it clears the charger. Next, I cut the side of the MX batt to clear the rounded side of the saber batt. The rest was easy, soldered some wires from the saber batt to the top of the MX batt, stuck the two together and filled the top with hot melt glue.

Voila!!

DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Post by DES-AJ »

WOOHOO NICE JOB!!! :)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Nice!

(How many aftermarket MX batteries and a second-hand charger can you get for $125 anyway? Four?)
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Good solution! For $125 you can buy plenty of Saber and MX batteries to make that setup.

MRFLASHPORT

keyloader

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

You can still purchase MX batteries and MX chargers pretty cheap these days, Don't understand why anyone would pay for $125.00 for a silly adapter?

It looks so stupid attached to the keyloader then a saber battery attached to the adapter.

Mattsr that looks funny but at least it works!
MrFlashPort
tvsjr

Re: keyloader

Post by tvsjr »

MRFLASHPORT wrote:You can still purchase MX batteries and MX chargers pretty cheap these days, Don't understand why anyone would pay for $125.00 for a silly adapter?

It looks so stupid attached to the keyloader then a saber battery attached to the adapter.

Ditto. I pay about $25/ea. for brand new MX batteries. In fact, Multiplier even builds a refillable alkaline case for the MXs... with the very limited use my KVL sees, I'm rather tempted to grab one of those and just fill it with lithium AAs - the pack only costs about $12.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Hey, now that's good, i didn't know anyone made a battery case for the MX series!

MattSR

Post by MattSR »

MRFLASHPORT wrote:Mattsr that looks funny but at least it works!
I agree it looks totally stupid and dodgy, but you get that when you take the $0 cost option :D

Cheers,
Matt
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

tvsjr wrote:
MRFLASHPORT wrote:You can still purchase MX batteries and MX chargers pretty cheap these days, Don't understand why anyone would pay for $125.00 for a silly adapter?

Ditto. I pay about $25/ea. for brand new MX batteries. In fact, Multiplier even builds a refillable alkaline case for the MXs... with the very limited use my KVL sees, I'm rather tempted to grab one of those and just fill it with lithium AAs - the pack only costs about $12.
Ive been to the multiplier website but I cant find a part number for the refillable case... have you got a link tvsjr?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

MattSR wrote:Ive been to the multiplier website but I cant find a part number for the refillable case... have you got a link tvsjr?
I can't find it now, but I could've *sworn* they had one. Either it was a different manufacturer or I've had a dumbass attack - both have equal probability. :P
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Now i want to research this. I have a keyloader but no batt or charger. The refillable battery pack would be great for the occasional use.

Frank
1 Adam 12
sk

Motorola MX packs

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

There where 2 variations of alkaline packs for the MX. The most popular and common was a sealed 1 time use...throw away alkaline pack. Several manufacturers made these, but I'm not sure if a current one is being produced. The second was 2 companies made a limited run of them for the MX and finding one of these is next to impossible. In 16 years of hamfests.. averaging 20-30 a year in several states including big ones, I have found 2 that where in the box at a fest. The military and a federal user where the largest user.. so somewhere in a warehouse under 3 inches of dust is a case of them..... :P

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”