MTX810/Classic radio problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

MTX810/Classic radio problem

Post by Robert HT220 »

I just bought one of these radios off ebay. The seller said it would TX/RX, but when it got here all it does is emit a low tone when I press the PTT button. And if I turn the channel selector to any channel from 2 to 6 it emits the same tone without pressing the PTT. Is this an error tone or something? (oh yeah I need it reprogrammed so if anyone will do it cheap/free? let me know)
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

On my MTS2000, when I press PTT on the RX only frequencies, it emits this low error tone, so its probably programmed for RX only on ch1, on 2-6 there is no frequency programmed thats why it is making that tone.
-Jon
1 Adam 12
sk

MTX 810

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

its probably the illegal tone, if its coming on when you switch to a position... meaning its unprogrammed. When you PTT and get a " baaah " tone it means it can't find the trunked system.
Sounds like it may have been on a system where he was, and it will need to be reprogrammed. :o
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

It's not like the TX disable tone, it's lower and like the tone 1 Adam 12 described. Anyway I bought it to monitor the refinery where my Dad works so yeah it needs to be reprogrammed to RX their freq's. One more question, what is the AB* switch for? When I have it in the A position, it will try to TX on channels 1 and 2. When I switch it to B or the * position it only has channel 1. I think it's for the different zones right?
dittrimd

Post by dittrimd »

Adam 12 is correct. The tone you hear is most likely an error that it cannot affiliate with the trunked system it was programmed for. The tone you hear constant when you select one of the other channels means that it is not programmed. You need to program this radio for you use. These radios will do Type II or coventional. You can get six conventional 800 channels without scan. I just recently programmed one of these and can do it for you. Where are you located? I can do conventional channels for you if you pay the shipping both ways.

Mark
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

Thank for the info Mark. PM sent.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

dittrimd wrote:Adam 12 is correct. The tone you hear is most likely an error that it cannot affiliate with the trunked system it was programmed for. The tone you hear constant when you select one of the other channels means that it is not programmed. You need to program this radio for you use. These radios will do Type II or coventional. You can get six conventional 800 channels without scan. I just recently programmed one of these and can do it for you. Where are you located? I can do conventional channels for you if you pay the shipping both ways.

Mark
Only "S" models support type II. The 810/Classic was a type I and conventional only radio.

IIRC there wasn't ever an 810-S. Only an 800-s, and 820-S, the 800-S was a system only (no conventional) radio.

The Classics were later MTX810's. there was a Smartnet S version, but they are fairly rare compared to the plethora of 800/810's out there that are practically free now.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
dittrimd

Post by dittrimd »

Thanks for the tip. I will check my radio again as I thought it said type 2 when I was in RSS but I did not check the model number. It is a moot point for Robert as he just wants conventional which the classic will do.

Thanks

Mark

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”