Is Test Set RTX-4005B required for setup

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BatMite

Is Test Set RTX-4005B required for setup

Post by BatMite »

Greetings,

I have a couple of Visar radios that we're trying to configure to communicate with each other. The documentation shows a diagram that includes a Test Set RTX-4005B unit and we're wondering if this absolutely required for setup.

We tried connecting the radios to the RIB RLN4008 unit and the RIB connecting to a PC. However when trying to do test connect using the software, an error appears showing
"RIB Port Communication Unsuccessful
- possible causes: RIB has no power
- No RIB or RIB malfunction
- Poor communication between RIB and PC.
- PC serial card malfunctioning "

We've checked that PC serial card is working and the RIB does have power. But there's no way for us to test if the RIB is malfunctioning or if is malfunctioning because the Test Set RTX-4005B is missing since we don't have one.

Also the documentation (Part no. RNV 4098) mentions that the software may have problems when running with Windows. I tried booting the PC from an MS-DOS disk but still the communication error above occurred. Does software version R03.03.00 10-Apr-1998 strictly only run on MS-DOS or can it can run on XP Windows? Can this be the problem? Hopefully the software can run with Windows since we don't have a 286 or 386 with just MS-DOS running on it.

Greatly appreciate any isight or assistance regarding this.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

No you dont need the test box
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Any thoughts on why the communication is failing?
Al

Post by Al »

You didn't state what make, model, and speed PC you're trying to use to program your Visars. Typically, the error message you've described appears when the PC is not running pure DOS, CPU speed is too fast for the revision of the RSS you're using, or you have the wrong comm port selected. These three things are the most common source of trouble. On occasion, marginal RIB batteries will cause communication errors.
As Bruce stated, you only need the test box(current p/n is RLN4660C) if you're going to perform an alignment of the radios. If you're only programming, leave the RTX plug on your cable capped.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

The PC is a Pentium IBM compatible PC, I think it's a 1ghz CPU wth 2gb RAM. The PC is not running pure DOS since it is WinXP. Although I did try booting from a MS-DOS disk which I thought did not load any of the windows stuff. But this did not help either since the same error occurred. The version of RSS is Radio Service Software for the HT/JT1000/Visar version R03.03.00 dated 10-April-1998. Also the RIB is using an adapter for power. So I don't think there is a power issue with the RIB.

Is the problem that the RSS software absolutely requires a pure a DOS computer for it work properly? Has anyone been able to run the RSS software on a Windows computer or a computer that's been booted with MS-DOS?

Thanks again for all your help.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

BatMite wrote:Has anyone been able to run the RSS software on a Windows computer or a computer that's been booted with MS-DOS?
Yes. My machine, which is slightly faster than yours, is configured to dual-boot into either XP Pro SP2 or DOS 5.22, and it'll run RSS all day.

What bothers me is that you mentioned using a "serial card." Are you trying to program with a PCMCIA-serial adapter? If so, I think you're SOL for using that particular computer. Your programming computer needs to have an inbuilt serial port that can be enabled and configured in the system BIOS, or it'll never play right in DOS.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Hi Motorola_otaku,

Are you saying that you able to run RSS on Windows XP? Or are you saying that when you boot up in DOS, you are able to run RSS? Or are you saying that you're able to run RSS in either OS?

As for the serial port, it is not a port on the mother board. It is on an add-on card in one of the available 8/16 bit slots. It is not a PCMIA adapter. When we boot up with windows, we're able to connect a serial mouse to the port and the mouse works. However we have not tested the port when we boot up with DOS yet. So perhaps the device drivers may not be loaded in DOS mode. Could this be the problem? How do you load the serial drivers in DOS mode?

Although if you are able to run RSS with Windows XP, we should also be able to run it. What version of RSS are you running?

Thanks again.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

BatMite wrote:Or are you saying that when you boot up in DOS, you are able to run RSS?
Yes.

I'd look at your serial port card as the primary suspect. I've personally never had good luck with anything that didn't have an embedded serial port on the motherboard. As far as DOS drivers go, I strongly doubt any exist for your particular device.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

He is saying that the machine must have NO traces of
windows whatsoever. Windows handles ports in a completely
different way than DOS. Has to do with the fact that windows
uses "virtual UARTS" and dos uses hardware. The serial port
card you have may be just the line driver and receiver chips
and depends on win to provide the UART part. Kinda like
win modems that wont work outside of windows. Here lies
the problem. Virtual uarts are set up for the standard group
of port speeds only. Windows has total control over this.
Not all moto rss talks to the radio at standard speeds like
300 1200 2400 9600 etc. The virtual UART's barf at this and the
true hardware port just says, "ok whatever", and passes it.
Chances are since the serial add on card you have is a PCI
type it uses win as part of it's structure and is constrained to
what windows thinks is ok. You need a serial card that
resides on the old at bus or pc bus slot. Even then I would
be skeptical on the high speed machine, but some folks have
been lucky and never "bricked" a radio with one.
Hope this may help you understand why we always say
"486 25 Mhz max" and REAL dos (ideally 6.22). Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”