ASTRO Saber HHCH

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi guy's. I know this is something we've all been trying to do. I plugged the cable on my ASTRO speaker mic in to my HMN4044D HHCH just to see what would happen, not much just got the FAIL 01/90 and the HHCH reset...... The ASTRO Saber itself didn't error out. Anyone got the HHCH to do anything other then FAIL??

Nick
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

It has already been determined that the AVA
has to have the right firmware in its own chipset in order to support the HHCH. Not many AVA's have that firmware and even though I've been in contact with the depot and they claim they're researching the upgrade, it's not looking good. If it takes them two months to 'research' this and never call me back, then either they're monumentally incompetent or this is something they just don't sell to non-governmental customers, but they don't have the guts to just tell me that.

Elroy
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Oh...I noticed that you tried it with just
the mic cable instead of the AVA.

Two things, at least, have to be right.
First, I'm not sure that the speaker-mic
cable is correctly wired for the HHCH but
it does get power to it. Is data transferring via the proper lines, though?
I don't know. With some data on the pinouts of the HHCH cable, though, that will be easy enough to correct.

Also, the radio has to be programmed as HHCH capable or it won't output the data to the HHCH. This option is not accessible via the standard RSS but IS accessible via the CPS and the lab software.

Even then, there's no guarantee that an HHCH can be used as a super speaker/mic (minus the speaker) because for all anyone knows, the data has to be further processed by the chips in the AVA before sending it to the HHCH.

Have you figured out how to open the HHCH?
It's a very clever design. Quite the puzzle.
But there are no screws involved so don't peel any labels off to find them. You'll be impressed when you figure it out.

Elroy
Nick

Post by Nick »

Elroy,
There was something going around a while back about the "special" firmware in the AVA being written for a Dept in Florida?? Have you got any info on who was using this type of setup (rummored or true)?? I've been waiting for Motorola to get back to me also. However I found a contact at Motorola who looks after Govt sales, we'll see what he can do??

Nick
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the heads up about not removing the stickers etc... I just had a look at the HHCH and it looks like the back slides off?? And seems to be a little button behind the hang up clip that may need to be depressed?? They should include this when you do an IQ test!!
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

The button behind the hangup clip has nothing
to do with opening the HHCH. Nothing needs
to be removed but you do need to unplug it
from the cable.

Hint: Inspect the housing near the cable
receptacle.

You need no tools but your fingernails to
open it up.

Elroy
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

I'm not sure which is more important to me right now hacking the CPS or getting the damn HHCH to work? We gotta get both accomplished.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Howard & Elroy,

We should compare notes to see who's been speaking with who at Motorola about info on the AVA-HHCH deal! Maybe we can coordinate a plan of attack and resolve this once and for all??

Nick
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Nick it sounds like Elroy is getting somewheres. Elroy is waiting on an answer this week, if he doesn't get one i'll make a phone call to someone who helped me before at Motorola. I hate to bother the guy if I don't have too, but this has now become an obsession. I have all the Saber HHCH's and one Astro HHCH that has the 25 pin connector on it and none of them look like the one the FBI has.
Howard
Howard
Nick

Post by Nick »

HOWARD,

What does the FBI HHCH look like (button color etc)?? I bought a couple of a guy a while back and one of them has no labels with black buttons??

Nick
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

The Astro HHCH that was in the FBI plane was very similiar to the Spectra HHCH but without the Extension on the side where the PTT is. If you look I screwed up and started a new post, it has a link for the User Guide and the picture looks exactly like a HMN4044 but with a RJ45 plug. What Elroy has been saying is pretty much confirmed by the picture. I just remembered we have a new GSA catalog at work and I will check tomorrow to see if it is listed. If it is I will post all the information I can.
Howard
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I still don't have a solid answer yet from M on this issue, but here's what I've gathered so far:

REPORTEDLY, the HMN-4044D head is the right one, but the cable needs to be the same on ethat is used on the XTVA's HHCH. The part number for the XTVA HHCH is PLN7737A.

I do NOT know if the XTVA HHCH will work in place of the 'correct' AVA HHCH but as they are connected via a modular RJ-45 plug to the cable, the heads can be interchanged once I get a working HHCH compatible AVA in hand so I can then find out.

I'm speculating that the firmware MIGHT be different for the two different heads.
And then again, it might be the same.

Soon, we should know.

It is utterly appalling that it is taking ths long to even find correct INFORMATION for a stupid handheld control head.

Description: The HHCH that is reported to work with the AVA and XTVA (I know the XTVA info is correct) has one large PTT button on the upper left side, three buttons on the top side, of which the center one is orange, adn the right side also has three buttons. All buttons except the PTT are programmable if I remember right. The display on the front of the HHCH is identical to the one in an Astro Saber.

The top six buttons on the face under the display are marked and arranged the same as on an Astro Saber, III model. The lower 12 button keypad is also marked and arranged the same. The center section of the front of the HHCH has the microphone element to the left side, and an up/down volume button in the middle, and an up/down mode button on the right.

There are some limited keypad HHCH's floating around as well. I don't know what they work with and have no idea if they can be used with an AVA or XTVA.

Elroy
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

I talked with the GSA people who talked with the Motorola people and they came up with part number: NMN6150A for the Astro HHCH. They say this will work with any AVA as long as all of the functions are enabled in the RSS.
I checked the part number and it's good, lists for $431.00. Funny, Motorola parts ID couldn't give me a part number for it.
Howard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HOWARD on 2001-09-26 13:41 ]</font>
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Part Item : NMN6150A Description: KEYPAD MIC SABER SVA FULL
APC : 742 Setup Date : 12/13/1995

Status Code: K - NLA UPON DEPLETION Customer receives existing stock. Balance
is cancelled.

Float class serves as estimated delivery time for items out of stock. For actual
lead times on Dropship and Component items, contact Parts Customer Service.

Float Class: D - 6-8 weeks

Unit Meas : 1 / EA Minimum Ord: 1.00
Eff. Date : 09/22/2001 USA User: 431.00 EA
Bat Wing

Post by Bat Wing »

On 2001-09-26 13:45, HOWARD wrote:
Description: KEYPAD MIC SABER SVA FULL
Setup Date : 12/13/1995

Status Code: K - NLA UPON DEPLETION

Eff. Date : 09/22/2001
I think you've been given misleading information... again.

Looks like the part you were given info on is for the Saber, not the Astro.

My reasoning is that according to the database query, it was entered back in 1995 (isn't that pre-ASTRO?), and as of this month, has now been reclassed as No Longer Available (NLA). That is also why it has a $400 price tag... NLA parts prices rise as stock depletes.

Just my observations... I could also be full of crap (I don't profess to be an Astro expert, that's Elroy's dept.).

Bat
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Oh well, back to the drawing board! I'm at work so I couldn't match the numbers against the Mics I already have.
Howard
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Yes, I can confirm that the NMN6150A is in fact the full-featured display mic for a standard Saber. It is not an Astro product, but it DOES have limited functionality when connected to an AVA with an Astro Saber in it. The PTT works, as do the monitor, 1, and 2 dots buttons which correspond to all of the
side buttons on the radio.

Elroy
Nick

Post by Nick »

Does the display show anything????????
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

No. It does not.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I must have been drunk when I posted that question, with the different display etc how could it!! Thanks.

Nick
CyberSlicer
Batboard $upporter

Post by CyberSlicer »

Howard,
What software are you using to see the info:

Part Item : NMN6150A Description: KEYPAD MIC SABER SVA FULL
APC : 742 Setup Date : 12/13/1995

Status Code: K - NLA UPON DEPLETION Customer receives existing stock. Balance
is cancelled.

Float class serves as estimated delivery time for items out of stock. For actual
lead times on Dropship and Component items, contact Parts Customer Service.

Float Class: D - 6-8 weeks

Unit Meas : 1 / EA Minimum Ord: 1.00
Eff. Date : 09/22/2001 USA User: 431.00 EA ??

It sure isn't Access Point.

Thanks,
Don
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

I'm using the Accesspoint search engine. http://accesssecure.mot.com/Accesspoint ... +915500318
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Hey Don, it is Accesspoint, what you have to do is change the pull down menu from list to detail and you will get alot more information.
Also their is a Photo search site too, I'm at work and don't have it saved on this computer. I will post it tomorrow.
Howard
CyberSlicer
Batboard $upporter

Post by CyberSlicer »

Thanks for the link, Howard. I've been using the Access Point NSO CD and the output is somewhat different. I imagine they update the web one more frequently though.

Don
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Here's the Photo ID site:
http://64.33.19.175/
ERC

Post by ERC »

In the original AVA setup the HMN-4044A was the HHCH mic that was used. It was hooked to the AVA via a Y cable (NTN-8077A) that plugged into the speaker port. When Motorola updated the AVA in 1996 and came out with the B version; the references to the HHCH and the Y cable were deleted from all of the manuals and subsequent revisions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ERC on 2001-10-31 22:54 ]</font>
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Well, THAT'S certainly interesting news!

You wouldn't happen to have the pinout for that cable, would you?

Elroy
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I remember awhile ago watching an episode of COPS in which a SGT had what looked like a SVA HHCH as a speaker mic. I remember that it was motorola, and it had a display. Some tells me it was out west somewhere, poss. texas. Is this what we are looking for? It looked like the front to the Saber III
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Wow their is hope!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”