Toyota Tacoma Ignition Sense Line Installation Question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

John Moem

Toyota Tacoma Ignition Sense Line Installation Question

Post by John Moem »

I own a double cab 2006 Toyota Tacoma and wish to install an ignition sense line to an already installed MCS2000 high power radio drawer located under the driver rear seat. I can run the sense wire up along the kick panels to behind the dash easily enough; I just don't know where best to pick up switched ignition power. Can I do it with minimum invasive surgery? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks, John
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

put a "tap-a-fuse" into the fuse panel under the dash. That panel should go on and off w/ the ign. Those nifty little things plug right into fuse panels, and give you a short length of lead so you can tie in what youwant to connect to them. I have ONLY used them for sense wires, i still haven't run anything too significant off them, but you could...if it was small enough. For a IGN SENS leead, you should be fine.
John Moem

Toyota Tacoma Ignition Sense Line Installation

Post by John Moem »

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you tell me where to find it? I didn't know that the Tacoma had a fuse block under the dash, although there is a big fuse block box by the battery under the hood. I'll look more carefully under the dash. Maybe it's behind a panel? John
LT-EMTC9

Post by LT-EMTC9 »

I just installed some equip in a 2005 Tacoma. The fuse panel is behind a little door on the bottom left of the drivers side dashboard. It pops right out, and the fuses are behind it. I did not have luck with the fuse taps as the fuses are strange looking (different than the mini-blade ones I am used to seeing). I am currently considering running a tap into a power wire going into the fuse box (needing to run some low power for a relay). Let me know what you decided to do, very interested in hearing.
John Moem

Post by John Moem »

Thanks for your post. My need was to install an ignition sense line for an MCS2000 radio - I was successful. I used only the ~20 gauge Motorola supplied ignition sense wire and no other supplied parts (NOT the Motorola supplied ~14 gauge wire with the in-line fuse. The wire gauge was WAY too big.)

First, I cut an adequate length of the supplied 20 gauge red wire to go from the underbelly radio connector plug to the fuse block you described. Then, I placed my own little in-line 3-amp fuse (with a two inch pigtail) at the fuseblock end and stripped about 1/8 inch of insulation off the end of the pigtail.

Next, I located the fuse panel you described and removed the fuse (7.5 amp, third from right, top row) that controls the relay for the cigarette lighter and aux power sockets. I replaced it again, but with the exposed wire alongside the lower leg of the fuse. I just pushed it back into the slot with the wire alongside. Seemed to go in solid without excessive force. So, in summary, the wire goes from the radio underbelly plug to the fuse block area, through an in-line fuse and into the Tacoma fuse block. Hot ziggity, it all works just fine. No holes drilled and no cut Tacoma wires. And, the sense wire is properly fused.

It was sure worth it. Now, I don't get chewed out for missing calls by forgetting to turn on the radio when I get in my truck. Best of luck to you. Again, thanks for your post.
captrgm

Post by captrgm »

Some info for LT-EMTC9, I have recently installed some equipment in a Toyota with those low profile mini fuses. The add a fuse pigtails with the wire coming off will work in those fuse holders. They are physically the same size holder, the fuse is made for lower profile. I have used them a couple of times in Toyota's and have worked no problem. I don't recomend stripping a wire found under the dash for ignition sense or anything else. These tap a fuse pigtails work very well when kept short and installed correctly. I beleive that some auto computers also measure the amount of current that a particular circuit draws (such as lights) to activate a warning light in the dash if it feels a light is open or shorted. Watch out for that.

Good luck.

RGM
Smile--it could always be worse!
W3MOT
Banned for the Greater Good
What radios do you own?: Just a console for nuke'n.

Re: Toyota Tacoma Ignition Sense Line Installation Question

Post by W3MOT »

I know I'm beating a very much already dead horse by posting on this topic, but could someone tell which Pin the Ignition Sense wire plugs into on the belly of the MCS2000?

Thanks!
Intellegence/\/\Somewhere
"One radio at a time..."
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Why don't you go to http://www.batlabs.com and get the info yourself.

Jim

Firerescue3120 wrote:I know I'm beating a very much already dead horse by posting on this topic, but could someone tell which Pin the Ignition Sense wire plugs into on the belly of the MCS2000?

Thanks!
W3MOT
Banned for the Greater Good
What radios do you own?: Just a console for nuke'n.

Post by W3MOT »

Because it's not there. :lol:
Jim202 wrote:Why don't you go to http://www.batlabs.com and get the info yourself.

Jim

Firerescue3120 wrote:I know I'm beating a very much already dead horse by posting on this topic, but could someone tell which Pin the Ignition Sense wire plugs into on the belly of the MCS2000?

Thanks!
Intellegence/\/\Somewhere
"One radio at a time..."
bnn121

Post by bnn121 »

It sure is....

Pinout for the Accessory Connector

1 SPKR+
2 INT SPKR+
3 SPKR-
4 DIGITAL GND
5 BUSY
6 BUS+
7 I/O 8
8 I/O 5
9 EMERGENCY
10 ANALOG GND
11 FIL AUD OUT
12 AUX RX IN2
13 MIC IN
14 SW B+
15 IGNITION
16 I/O 2
17 LH RESET
18 BUS-
19 SCI RX DATA
20 I/O 4
21 I/O 3
22 RSSI OUT
23 EXTERNAL MIC IN
24 AUX TX IN2
25 UNIV IO OUT
Firerescue3120 wrote:Because it's not there. :lol:
Jim202 wrote:Why don't you go to http://www.batlabs.com and get the info yourself.

Jim

Thanks!
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Burn.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”