Visar RF boards.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bellersley
No Longer Registered

Visar RF boards.

Post by bellersley »

I've embarked on a project. I have a number (5 or 6) of VHF Visar RF boards that are all in working condition. However, since the Visar is worse than an FRS radio, I don't want a Visar. It seems that the only difference between a Visar RF board and a standard Jedi/HT1000 RF board is the antenna connector. I was able to transplant the antenna connector from a broken UHF Jedi RF board onto the VHF Visar board. I haven't had a chance to try connecting it up to a controller board and dumping in a codeplug yet. Is there anything else one would need to do, or is this project doomed before it even gets off the ground?

Along the same lines. I'm running out of MTSX controller boards but have quite a few HT1000 controller boards. They are currently 2 channel UHF. Is there some way I can convince these boards that they are 16 channel VHF, assuming my above project works?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
radio-link

Re: Visar RF boards.

Post by radio-link »

bellersley wrote: Is there anything else one would need to do, or is this project doomed before it even gets off the ground?
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
I have done this several times, and it works like a charm. Only the antenna connector and the antenna switch have to be transplanted, everything else is identical, you just have to align the radios after RF and controlle board have been paired.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

As far as 2 to 16 channel is concerned just see the information
under the "model specific" section. t will tell you exactly where
and what to hex edit to make the controler a 16 channel.
Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Not only the antenna connection/s need swapping, you will probably have to remove and replace the interconnect on the lower left of the board on the Visar, unless you have the jumper style, and the pins fit the connector.

If not, and you have the ribbon style, then you will need to resolder that connector as well.

Other than a realignment as Phrawg stated, you should be good to go.

The Jedi boards are different as they have a little better shielding than the Visar, but other than this, you should not have any problems with the board swaps.

The Visar 'could' have been a good radio, if it weren't for the crappy controller boards and small heatsink area due to the compact size, but the batteries were the worst I've ever seen in any Circle-M radio.

Merry Chrsitmas!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”