WHERE TO BUY

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

WHERE TO BUY

Post by jmr3865 »

I need an electrical device that hooks up to my MAIN POWER and then I can plug things into this and run several different devices off of this one thing. Any suggestions?
JMR
KC2QVO
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Huh? You mean like a power strip? Your friendly Home Depot should be able to help.

Seriously. Calm down, take a breath, think about what you're writing.
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

yea, like a power strip but for direct wiring for vehicles.
JMR
KC2QVO
mesoman

Post by mesoman »

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

check out Blue Sea Electrcial
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Any decent marine shop will have what you want as boats all have things along those lines for electrical distribution
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The RigRunners aren't bad for a home setup, or inside a cabinet... I wouldn't use them in a mobile situation at all. I have found that the connections can easily come undone in the vehicle as time goes on. If a cable loop gets snagged when putting a box in your trunk... <POP> connections yanked.

Something from a marine supply would be preferable, in my opinion anyway.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

http://www.sunwize.com/catalog/SunWize_web-cat4_06.pdf

page 87, part # 5025 and 5028.
ATC type 6 position fuse blocks, with cover, with (5025) or without (5028) ground bus.
euro style screw type terminals. 30a per circuit, 100a per block.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Or this, as found on the delcity website

i prefer these, not only because they are not 37 bucks a pop, also because they come with male spades for outputs, and the are not 37 bucks a pop...try about 8. :-)
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

thebigphish wrote:Or this, as found on the delcity website

i prefer these, not only because they are not 37 bucks a pop, also because they come with male spades for outputs, and the are not 37 bucks a pop...try about 8. :-)
These are a good choice. I have used these before and they also fit inside consoles. You just need to use a good size main feed wires(10 or 8 gage) and properly fused it at the battery terminal.
fineshot1
NJ USA
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

thebigphish wrote:Or this, as found on the delcity website

You get what you pay for..

I've used these $8 blocks (without the grounding pad), which is precisely why I sought out the $37 ones I referenced above after seeing them being installed. I would love to find a cheaper source, but if I have to, I'll pay $37 because it's simply the best designed fuseblock for this application that I have found so far, and I'm tired of fighting with inferior designs.
(I will note that the last time I priced them it was about $28 or so.. they have gone up recently.)

I don't like having to terminate in spade lugs, and I strongly prefer that ALL connections be
shrouded to prevent any possibility of shorts, for obvious reasons. The $37 blocks have the
euro style terminals (round hole with setscrew, like the white nylon barrier strips). The entire block and all terminals are covered. The $8 blocks can't be fully insulated unless you mount them in their own box.

I also prefer that all connections come out on the same side of the block, which seriously reduces the amount of space needed to mount the block and dress the cabling. I can probably fit two of the $37 blocks in the space of one of the $8 blocks, and it will look neater and be more accessible if the wiring is properly dressed. The $8 blocks end up looking messy
no matter what you do, and there really is no way around it.

What is the maximum load that the $8 blocks are rated for? I didn't see it on the del-city site.
the $37 blocks are rated for 30a/circuit, and 100a/block.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
akardam

Post by akardam »

techie wrote:http://www.sunwize.com/catalog/SunWize_web-cat4_06.pdf

page 87, part # 5025 and 5028.
ATC type 6 position fuse blocks, with cover, with (5025) or without (5028) ground bus.
euro style screw type terminals. 30a per circuit, 100a per block.
The image in that catalog seems a little wierd, and the measurements seem off. Here's the link to and images from the manufacturer:

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

BSS #5025:

BSS #5028:

In that cagalog you mentioned, it almost looks like they took a 12 w/ neg bus (BSS #5026) and cut the image in half. Here's what it looks like:
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

ok, that's odd...perhaps i was looking in the wrong spot in the PDF, i never saw those in there....hell, i'd get those too!
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

Buss ATC fuse pannel. Avaliable with or without ground strip. Easily had on fleabay.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”