Antenna's in grill

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firemedic4

Antenna's in grill

Post by firemedic4 »

I'm trying not to drill holes in my truck, Has anyone ever put antenna's in the grill . Thanks Bob

What does everyone think about decal antenna's ?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Antennas in the grille? That's going to be exceedingly directional and generally sucky. Decal antennas are about as bad.

If you can't drill holes, look at L-bracketing something off the trunk or hood lips. Otherwise, man up and drill a hole.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I used bumper antennas but cant remember from who.

A quick search brings http://www.licenseplateantenna.com

Of course you need a plastic bumper or it wont work.
We used them on spook vehicles on 800 Mhz and they worked great.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

you could try the stick on glass mount cell phone look alikes, i put them on dea cars all the time. if you use a 3db gain one it should make up for the loss thru the glass.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Up here in the white north, a popular place for disguise antennas is a thick-metal NMO mount upside down in the rear near the bumper. This is for an agency on UHF, so the antennas aren't all that big. It has pretty crappy range, but this is for VIP/Executive protection on simplex, so we're only talking about 1000ft distances.

You might try looking at a Comprod or Sti-Co hidden antenna, they work very well.
firemedic4

Post by firemedic4 »

thanks to all for your help....
Will

Post by Will »

Bruce1807 wrote:snip>

A quick search brings http://www.licenseplateantenna.com
They also make a coupler and cable assembley that replaces your factory AM/FM rod antenna. Jeff Cherry is the contact there at Western Mobile.
Bruce1807 wrote:snip>

on spook vehicles.
WHAT????
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

James Bond types!
Sorry if it was misinterpreted.
OCSD117
was RPDM313
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX3000, APX7000

Post by OCSD117 »

I use trunk lip mount antennas and they work well...NO HOLES
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Whatever1

Glass Mount

Post by Whatever1 »

For a glass mount that will handle 100 watts try Stico in Orchard Park, NY
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

wow, talk about a window defroster!
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

dude......

just do it. It's not truly yours until you put the first couple of holes in it...

Sorry, lost my train of thought. (good teevee for once.) All those other mounts are for people who need stealth over effective radiation pattern. Or are on a lease program... lol

Unless you are in a good coverage area, and don't ever plan on being ever on the fringes, best bet is to pop a hole in it.

-Shawn
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

Your best bet would be an OEM replacement antenna. Motorola warns to pump no more than 10 (ten) watts through a glassmount.
firemedic4

Post by firemedic4 »

Well Guy's i made holes after all.. Just a few less then my other truck but the radios work great... Thanks for all your input and help..
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

swiss cheese again huh???
firemedic4

Post by firemedic4 »

Nope just 3 holes not 8 again...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”