Astro O-5 XTL 5000 troubles

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4SZS

Astro O-5 XTL 5000 troubles

Post by N4SZS »

Remote mount XTL 5000 trunking radio with the O-5 control heads are locking up. No PTT, No rx, no control head functions at all. These radio are programmed for ignition operation, control head required and cannot be powered down from head.

Radios are running Ver 9.0 software with 4.0 ver heads. older versions do not seem to be having a problem.

Is anyone having similar trouble??.
tks.
matt_tjaden

Post by matt_tjaden »

I know Fairfax County, VA had a problem with the O-5 radios they got and had to have them all reflashed and had a chip in the control head flashed. I'll see if I can find out some more information tomorrow.
Matt Tjaden
KI4IPP
RKG

Post by RKG »

Ditto in Boston. I was not directly involved, but after installing X new control heads, they had to be unstalled (with old heads reinstalled), radios upgraded, and then new upgraded O-5 heads installed. Major manpower problem.
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

RKG wrote:Ditto in Boston.
Not to venture too far off-topic, but who in Boston is getting the O5 heads? I've heard rumblings about big system changes for BPD.
RKG

Post by RKG »

As I said, it was not my project, but I believe it is certain Metro area PDs, but do not recall that BPD was included. (BPD tends to swim by itself.)
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

XTL

Post by Firebuff66 »

We have done over 200 head replacements and flashes to fix problems in the 05 head radios. Somone in boston is flashing 700 radios, not sure who.
We are flashing for the head problem, PL decode problem and the DPL narrow band problem. The flash we are now using is Firm 09.00.03 & DSP 09.00.02
motorola-radio

Post by motorola-radio »

How much to flash the W7 control head XTLl5000 to use O5 control head?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

It's not just a flash upgrade. You need to replace the entire control
cable from the radio to the control head if it is trunk mounted.
The front part of the radio gets changed due to a whole different
type of control cable and different style connectors. The power
cable to the remote trunk mount head is also different.

Jim

motorola-radio wrote:How much to flash the W7 control head XTLl5000 to use O5 control head?
motorola-radio

Post by motorola-radio »

Jim202 wrote:It's not just a flash upgrade. You need to replace the entire control
cable from the radio to the control head if it is trunk mounted.
The front part of the radio gets changed due to a whole different
type of control cable and different style connectors. The power
cable to the remote trunk mount head is also different.

Jim

motorola-radio wrote:How much to flash the W7 control head XTLl5000 to use O5 control head?
All things you said that I was replaced, How much to flash it ? Thanks !

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”