Safe procedure for Jedi board removal to recase radio ??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Leadenwah

Safe procedure for Jedi board removal to recase radio ??

Post by Leadenwah »

I'm recasing a good Jedi ( MTX8000 B7 ) with a new B7 case, but using all of the existing electronics.

Is there a safe procedure or tool for removing the keypad board from the old case and reinstalling in the new one ?

I don't want to wreck a good board just to have a nice case. Any suggestions appreciated.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Yeah, just spread the case down the sides and pop it out.
The accessory plug slides up and the speaker in under a clip.
JUst use care. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
Leadenwah

Post by Leadenwah »

Thanks very much.

I know that CARE is the operative word here.

Geo
Will

Post by Will »

We built a special tool to open the Jedi cases without breaking the case or leaving screwdriver marks on the case.
akardam

Post by akardam »

There is an official Jedi opener from Motorola: 6680334E07
Unfortunately it's a bit pricey at $33 list.

The Jedi cases seem to be less susceptable to cracking as their catches are not directly part of the bottom of the chassis. Using a thin, wide flatblade seems to be the best option short of the tool.

When removing the electronics, the first thing I do is to pop the keypad board out. Looking into the chassis, there's 3 catches on the left hand side. Gently release each of these (pry up slightly on the board to get it past the catch), and then let the board rest there.

The second thing to do is to remove the speaker retainer spring, which is shaped roughly like a Y (two arms to the top, one to the bottom). Using a pair of thin needle nose pliers, release each of the top arms from their catches, and remove the retainer.

The accessory connector takes patience. The flex has a plastic backing on it. Use a small flat blade, first on one side and then the other, to walk it up out of the plastic slots it sits in.

Finally, remove the mic element from its slot. You can gently pull up on its rubber housing with your fingers.

If you're using an OEM housing refurb kit from Motorola, it won't have either the felt mic/speaker grille covering or the RF switch plunger + rubber spring. You'll also need to reuse the side button green/black seal. Or, if you want, here are the part numbers from Motorola and just order a new set:

3505535X02 Speaker & Mic Element Grillcloth for Jedi
3205160W01 RF Switch Seal
2205159W01 RF Switch Pin
3205902U01 Side Button Seal

Re-assembly is basically the reverse of the above.

Hope this helps.
Leadenwah

Post by Leadenwah »

Hey, this is very helpful, very detailed.

I've done this before, but not very gracefully. I think the case opener would be worth the money. I warped an HT1000 case a while back and that cost me a good bit more than $33.00. I do remember the grille cloth problem.

Many thanks for this good information.

Geo.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”