XTS5000 (Secure Question)

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bnn121

XTS5000 (Secure Question)

Post by bnn121 »

I need to know what the following secure module part number NTN9738C is capable of.

Its currently in a XTS5000 portable.

Thanks
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Re: XTS5000 (Secure Question)

Post by batdude »

Good question! Let me digress..........

PART NUMBERS ON UNIVERSAL CRYPTOGRAPHIC MODULES (UCM'S) MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

The module is flashable. It can be loaded with whatever happens to be ordered by the customer. This is why 99% of the secure modules in radios shipped to customers has a part number of NNTN5032 (a "blank" UCM)

The only modules that will have part numbers other than NNTN5032 are those ordered via national parts as field installed units.... this is true almost without exception (at least in the 500 or so XTS5000's i've had cracked open on the bench)

If the customer specifics DES-OFB and DVP-XL, the module will still most likely say "NNTN5032".

The ONLY method to know for sure is to power up the radio and put it in self test - assuming of course you have a display radio.......

This is critical not only to know the algorithms loaded into the module - the FIRMWARE REVISION is of vital importance as well (current UCM firmware is 5.05.02) - at least one user has had random reboot problems with an XTS 5000 due to the firmware revision of his secure hardware - once the UCM was flashed - no more reboots.

FYI - a search on yahoo yielded this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-XTS5000-En ... 0112543911

looks like this seller actually knew what he was selling.

also FYI - NTN9738 does not come back as a valid part number on MOL......... but - it *IS* listed in the XTS5000 service manual as well .... as AES, DES-XL and DES-OFB

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
bnn121

Post by bnn121 »

Thanks for the clarifications...

Oh and by the way...it wasn’t me...
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

roger that - i'm dealing with an idiot on ebay at the moment..... about this exact topic.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

To reinforce Doug's comments: even if the module does have an algorithm specific P/N (which it often will if purchased as a field installed kit) it can have easily been flash upgraded by the customer.

You buy the required number of algorithm upgrades on a PCMCIA card, slot it in your KVL3000+ and flash your UC modules in situ. Now who is going to bother to open up the radio and mark up the UCM? Only some of the algorithm combos even have part numbers and Motorola tells me you can have up to 6 algorithms flashed in. Oh, and yes there are more than six algorithms currently on offer…

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”