CDM1250 Mobile Radio (Remote Head) Stopped Powering Up?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nj404
New User

CDM1250 Mobile Radio (Remote Head) Stopped Powering Up?

Post by nj404 »

I just purchased a CDM1250 mobile radio last week, it worked fine for the first couple of days and yesterday it would not power up. I really don't know much about radios...I did all the basis stuff such as, checking the external fuse, power cord etc-they all work fine with my other cdm1250 radio. I paid a decent amount for this radio and don't want to take it to a technician and pay a flat rate plus cost of repairs if I don't have to! Thanks for your help!
ve3nsv

Re: CDM1250 Mobile Radio (Remote Head) Stopped Powering Up?

Post by ve3nsv »

Did you happen to disconnect the control head while the radio was powered up? Try resetting power to the radio and see if it springs back to life.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Not much more to check, other than the remote mount adapter. There could be a bad connection in the cable, or the control head may not be put together all the way, they snap together and sometimes the board will pop out when you put the back on the head. Depending on how technical you are, you could take off the remote kit and connect the head directly to the radio and see if it works that way.
nj404
New User

Post by nj404 »

Thank you for all the help, I just removed the remote head and went directly into the radio. Still no power at all, I have tried everything!!
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Is this a brand new radio, or did you buy it used?
CDMs do sometimes have a problem where the reference oscillator quits working, which for some reason stops the radio from powering up.

There's also a fuse that supplies some voltage to the control head, although I'm not sure it wil cause the radio to be completely dead, here's some discussion of it.
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ad#p312478

You could also have a bad on/off switch, that's pretty easy to check with a meter.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Does the radio use or have ignition sense hooked up correctly? Is the fuse blown? I'd check that out. If you haven't yet, bench the radio, and see if it's a problem with the install. \\
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
nj404
New User

Post by nj404 »

The radio was used, the previous owner related that he did not have any problems with it. I took off the remote head and condensed the unit however, I still can't get the radio to power up. I am fairly new to this whole radio technical thing so I don't have a lot of the tools needed to check and double check the suggestions that you all have indicated! There is a possibility that the radio was programmed with a ignition start sensor although not totally sure. If it was programmed with the ignition sensor what will be the easiest way to restore it to regular working condition? The radio will not power up in a vehicle or at home using a power supply but my other cdm1250 will at both locations. Thanks again for all your help!
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

NJ404 - Bring it with you when I meet up with you Sunday night in the city. We will look at it then - PA324
I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night...
nj404
New User

Post by nj404 »

Thanks! PA324...
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Res168cue wrote:NJ404 - Bring it with you when I meet up with you Sunday night in the city. We will look at it then - PA324

I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night...
why don't you bring it to Cheeks? or are you bringing your test equipment?
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Is the serial number in this range?
xxxTEAxxxx through xxxTHMxxxx.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Since you stated it worked for a few days and then quit I'd say you can rule out ignition sense. If it was set up for "follow ignition only" and you didn't hook up an ignition sense lead to pin 10 of the accessory connector it never would have worked.
Sounds like you've got someone to look at it now, so I guess we'll find out soon enough, good luck with it.
nj404
New User

Post by nj404 »

Thank you all for the help, I am going to have a more technical person take a look at it tonight! Thanks again, hopefully it will be resolved.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”