Can I run VHF/UHF/and 800 Type II on one control head?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dereckpristas

Can I run VHF/UHF/and 800 Type II on one control head?

Post by dereckpristas »

I have very limited space...what's the minimum number control heads I can run:

800mHz Type II
UHF Conventional
VHF Conventional

off of? Must be a remote mount unit. Currently have a CDM1550 but I'm not sure if that does anything other than the UHF it is currently programmed for.
Dereck
Jim202

Re: Can I run VHF/UHF/and 800 Type II on one control head?

Post by Jim202 »

You have been sniffing something way too strong to be asking a question like that of
Motorola radios. Unless your loaded and don't care what you spend, you would be
better off looking at a different company. Kenwood comes to mind where they can
take two radios and one control head. Better be sitting down when you see the price.

Jim

dereckpristas wrote:I have very limited space...what's the minimum number control heads I can run:

800mHz Type II
UHF Conventional
VHF Conventional

off of? Must be a remote mount unit. Currently have a CDM1550 but I'm not sure if that does anything other than the UHF it is currently programmed for.
dereckpristas

Post by dereckpristas »

Jim202 wrote:You have been sniffing something way too strong to be asking a question like that of
Motorola radios. Unless your loaded and don't care what you spend, you would be
better off looking at a different company. Kenwood comes to mind where they can
take two radios and one control head. Better be sitting down when you see the price.

Jim

dereckpristas wrote:I have very limited space...what's the minimum number control heads I can run:

800mHz Type II
UHF Conventional
VHF Conventional

Well, Kenwood is fine. Right now I have a Kenwood TK-7180H and a Motorola CDM-1550XLS+ remote mount in there. The 7180 will remote mount but not sure if I can run VHF/UHF off of 1 head or not with those and I'm not interested in the x30 series (not new enough for me). But I don't know of anything other than Motorola that will do Type II trunking 800mHz but let me know if there is. I can get away with having 2 heads I suppose, I was just interested in only having 1 if at all possible.
Dereck
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I think you're looking at a minimum of two heads and 3 radios, probably a TK-790 and a TK-890 on one head, and your existing motorola for the type II on the other head.
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

How about a nice Wulfsberg or Technisonic? I think they both have abilities for up to four RF units on one head.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

JohnWayne wrote:How about a nice Wulfsberg or Technisonic? I think they both have abilities for up to four RF units on one head.
10W and 28V power might be a slight problem though.
libuff

Post by libuff »

JohnWayne wrote:How about a nice Wulfsberg or Technisonic? I think they both have abilities for up to four RF units on one head.

that technisonic stuff is sexy... i want to figure out how to mount it in my FRV and make it look like a helicopter... lol...

and do my wandering eyes peer, but does technisonic use XTS-3000 radios in their equip?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Older Technisonic equipment used XTS3000s, newer models use XTS5000s.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

theres another helicopter one that takes three XTL5000 W9's and converts them to one control head.

I will post the link tomorrow when I'm back at work.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Bruce1807 wrote:theres another helicopter one that takes three XTL5000 W9's and converts them to one control head.

That seems a little silly since max ERP from a bird is 10W. Unless it's Fed-only?
cbus

Post by cbus »

Bruce1807 wrote:theres another helicopter one that takes three XTL5000 W9's and converts them to one control head.

The Control head in the new NSW Ambo's rescue choppers(CHC) are called a NAT TH450B control head that can fully control 4 radios via the 1 display!

link
http://www.northernairborne.com/pdfs/Br ... cComII.pdf
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

not really as you would normally use 0dB antenas to keep them small. the til.com solution uses XTS5000 which gives you 4 or 5 watts max.
At least this way we get 10 watts. Our lot just bought a Eurocopter and my first task is to sort out the radios.
I intend on 2 x XTL5000 radios with the low power set at 10 watts but also an option to switch to full power if need be. Especially when out to sea.
the helicopter comes with the front panel hardware but i'm not sure if i need to buy the xtl interfaces for the radio panel.
it originally had Tetra in it.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

cbus wrote:

The Control head in the new NSW Ambo's rescue choppers(CHC) are called a NAT TH450B control head that can fully control 4 radios via the 1 display!

link
http://www.northernairborne.com/pdfs/Br ... cComII.pdf

Thats the one, as soon as i saw the picture.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

So, between the three radios, the control head system, and the helicopter, how much is all this going to cost Dereck?
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

well the til solution is about 10,500 with one radio(P25, des-ofb,sz) so add 2 more radios at abou 3 grand a piece
he should get out of it for say 17,000.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

And about 2 million bucks for a Twin Squirrel to put it in 8)
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

na, just got a eurocopter for 1.8
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

What model Eurocopter? Hopefully not one of those BK117 pieces of rubbish that keep falling out of the sky :o

(BTW: AS355N2 Twin Squirrel is a Eurocopter aircraft.)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”