Paging system co-user

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Paging system co-user

Post by spareparts »

We use a VHF digital paging system that we use for in-house and local paging. Our current use is fairly low (less then 12 pages per hour). Had a request through administration requesting that another agency be allowed access to our system (from what I can see they are eligible for their own license in PS).

Anyone else allowing another PS agency to use their infrastructure as a courtesy? (specifically not in an emergent situation like a tower failure)
aaknitt

Re: Paging system co-user

Post by aaknitt »

I know I'm not answering the question you asked, but my two cents...if you can accommodate them without hurting your existing operations or plans for growth, go for it. A little goodwill goes a long way. At the risk of beating a dead horse, territorial squabbles and "you can't use my frequency" attitudes are the main problems with PS interop today. I would think this would be a great way to create some dialog between agencies. And increased spectrum utilization and efficiency is never a bad thing.

Andy
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Establish what their anticipated current and future throughput would be (don't swamp your own gear).
Generate a Memorandum of Understanding or similar between the departments for use of the system. If the system is city- or county-owned, I'd recommend a resolution approved by the commissioners.
Get a count of their pagers and update your FCC license to reflect the appropriate number of pagers.

As aaknitt said, some goodwill and enhanced efficiency is never a bad thing. Who knows, you might be able to arrange some quid-pro-quo if they have something you want.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

tvsjr wrote:Establish what their anticipated current and future throughput would be (don't swamp your own gear).
Generate a Memorandum of Understanding or similar between the departments for use of the system. If the system is city- or county-owned, I'd recommend a resolution approved by the commissioners.

Get a count of their pagers and update your FCC license to reflect the appropriate number of pagers.

As aaknitt said, some goodwill and enhanced efficiency is never a bad thing. Who knows, you might be able to arrange some quid-pro-quo if they have something you want.
Good points - They currently have 65 pagers from one of the big commercial carriers, all on one leader capcode. They have DID's for each pagers, although the DID's are not normally used.

I don't have an issue with the use of the system, just don't have a clue on the legal & MOU's aspects.

They are aware that they would need to purchase one of the models that we currenty have in the field to allow programming with our equipment.
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

What are "DID"'s and "MOU"'s ?
Analog already is interoperable.

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Johnny Galaga wrote:What are "DID"'s and "MOU"'s ?
DID=Direct Inward Dial, each pager haveing a local 10 digit telephone number

MOU=(From Wiki) A memorandum of understanding (MOU) is a legal document describing a bilateral or multilateral agreement between parties. It expresses a convergence of will between the parties, indicating an intended common line of action and may not imply a legal commitment.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Looks like it will happen. Here's a temporary link to the frequency MOU:
http://home.att.net/~demosite/temp/freq ... haring.rtf

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”