Looking for 12 Volt distribution options for workbench

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rcit
No Longer Registered

Looking for 12 Volt distribution options for workbench

Post by rcit »

Howdy,

I'd like to find a nice 12V power distribution strip for use on the workbench. Something that can handle approx 30A total with fused banana screw terminals. Switched would be an asset, but not required. I just want the ability to do short-term connections without some proprietary connectors. I've been searching the net and unable to find anything. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Appreciate any help!
Cheers,
Darcy
Batwings21

Re: Looking for 12 Volt distribution options for workbench

Post by Batwings21 »

You are probably better off to build one yourself with parts from radio shack. You could try MCM electronics, they offer some test/ bench equipment, or tessco.
rcit
No Longer Registered

Post by rcit »

Thanks. I checked the website and found the perfect thing. http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?pro ... CMProducts
I tried every search term I could think of in google and had no luck.

I find that unless I have a bunch of parts laying around I end up paying almost as much to build it. This way it looks decent too!
Cheers,
Darcy
RKG

Post by RKG »

I do this using a Blue Sea fuse block. (See http://www.westmarine.com) The advantage is that I can fuse each item separately (versus one 15A fuse for all of the switched loads). For instance, I have some mobile radio power cords for programming mobiles on the bench; they are #18 AWG, and I wouldn't want to run them through a 15A fuse.
rcit
No Longer Registered

Post by rcit »

Thanks, I looked at this but I've had so many poorly made MFJ products I can't really bother to try it. More than 50% failure out of the box on recent products :o

I appreciate all the ideas!
Cheers,
Darcy
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

rcit wrote:
Thanks, I looked at this but I've had so many poorly made MFJ products I can't really bother to try it. More than 50% failure out of the box on recent products :o

I appreciate all the ideas!
Well I think we all know what the initials MFJ stand for.. :P
Will

Post by Will »

The Anderson Power Pole connectors are the standard in the Ham and disaster services. I also use the 45A version on the bench.

Quicksilver Radio Prod. http://www.qsradio.com
30A Anderson Powerpoles
http://www.argentdata.com/catalog Standard ARES/RACES power connector
http://www.westmountainradio.com

http://www.powerwerx.com
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I ... gle+Search
akardam

Post by akardam »

Anderson power poles are OK for the bench I suppose... but I find them too bulky. Plus, I don't trust them to within an inch of my life in a mobile environment. Screw terminals and captive spades or nothing at all.

Just my 2/100ths of a standard monetary unit.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

akardam wrote:Anderson power poles are OK for the bench I suppose... but I find them too bulky. Plus, I don't trust them to within an inch of my life in a mobile environment. Screw terminals and captive spades or nothing at all.

Use zip wire, run a wire tie between the split for the connector body, over the junction, and back through the other side. No problems. I typically cut the sucky Kenwood x180 connectors off and use powerpoles instead.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

tvsjr wrote:
akardam wrote:Anderson power poles are OK for the bench I suppose... but I find them too bulky. Plus, I don't trust them to within an inch of my life in a mobile environment. Screw terminals and captive spades or nothing at all.

Use zip wire, run a wire tie between the split for the connector body, over the junction, and back through the other side. No problems. I typically cut the sucky Kenwood x180 connectors off and use powerpoles instead.
How's this? 8)

http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm
akardam

Post by akardam »

tvsjr wrote:Use zip wire, run a wire tie between the split for the connector body, over the junction, and back through the other side. No problems. I typically cut the sucky Kenwood x180 connectors off and use powerpoles instead.
That's just mickey mouse, hombre. If the connector is to be used in an environment where it may be subject to shock and/or vibration, it should be designed in such a way as to latch, screw, or otherwise lock together. I'm not sure why people don't like the T connectors that most of the Kenwood and Icom rigs use:

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?Pr ... CtgID=1003

I've never had a problem with them, personally.

Anyway, powerpoles on the bench on a rigrunner or something is one thing, but you will never find a powerpole in my truck, period.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Grog's implementation is definitely mickey-mouse. You position the wire-tie "head" at one of the corners then wrench the tie down tight... that way, it lays flat. You also use black wireties, as they're simply more pimpin. :lol:
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Slight Hijack: Anyone know what Burndy or T&B die you would use to crimp the 350 Amp SB Series Anderson Powerpole Set? (or if it's even possible)
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

tvsjr wrote:Grog's implementation is definitely mickey-mouse. You position the wire-tie "head" at one of the corners then wrench the tie down tight... that way, it lays flat. You also use black wireties, as they're simply more pimpin. :lol:

You'd see that those were on the page I linked to. They are not mine......
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Ugh.. PowerPoles, the most utterly useless crap sold on the internet, seriously, i hate the little $%^&#$@....

They are such a crappy connector to be used for "emergency" use. For crying out loud, what's wrong with the good old "T" connector on the radios power cords to begin with? And if you need something else on the end use some 1/4" QD terminals, or even some nice gator clips if your situation calls for clipping onto whatever DC source you can.

Why people think they will be saved by having powerpoles on their radios power cord is beyond me. I realize a lot of groups made them the standard connector, why, because they claim universal compatibility for polarity and quick connections.... Ok, hold it right there, you notice i mentioned "quick connections" and not "permanent connections"??

They are ok for testing, and intermittent use, because after a while they just become intermittent anyway.. lol

I have had more than a few radios through here that had powerpoles on them, and usually the complaint was low transmit power, the radio would reset (power on and off now and then), would shut off on transmit, you name it. Usually traced to a set of intermittent powerpoles causing a bad or resistive connection. Next thing i do is grab the wire cutters, chop them stupid things off, and put something more appropriate on there and problems are solved, hmm, imagine that.

Anyway, i would take a set of alligator clips and some duct tape over those dumb things in an emergency!

/rant off
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that that MFJ panel looked just like the one on the MCM website except for the high current ammeter. I'm betting that MFJ doesn't make that unit. Now, the question is, which one is cheaper?
Tom

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”