Saber III looses its mind...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radio-link

Saber III looses its mind...

Post by radio-link »

Hi,

I have a Saber III (German police version) that looses its mind :-) The radio works just fine, but it does not keep its channel when powered off, and programming it with RSS does not make any changes. So it smells like a dry solder joint around the EEPROM U501 or the CPU, maybe WE is interrupted. The problem is, I have no schematics and layout, so I have no idea where U501 is located. Before I start resoldering the whole PCB, maybe anyone here could give me some hints.

Thank you very much!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Saber III looses its mind...

Post by DJP126 »

U501 is on the display board next to the flex circuit from the main board. IF you have another Saber III available, try swapping the display boards to see if the problem travels (remember to save a copy of both codeplugs before doing this). As an alternative, if you have a Saber II with an 8K display you can try swapping the displays here too.
Dave
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

DJP126 wrote:U501 is on the display board next to the flex circuit from the main board. IF you have another Saber III available, try swapping the display boards to see if the problem travels (remember to save a copy of both codeplugs before doing this). As an alternative, if you have a Saber II with an 8K display you can try swapping the displays here too.
OK, thank you - I already have suspected that this is U501, but I did not know for sure. The problem travels with the board, this one I already have sorted out. Now I will start resoldering U501, maybe this helps; will keep you posted. If it is hidden under the CPU, I will have to get it done in the oven, a normal Saber would not be worth the effort, but the special police firmware definetely is :-)
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Right.... Core 6?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”