MW-520 GPS antenna

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ScannerDan

MW-520 GPS antenna

Post by ScannerDan »

So what is the preferred GPS antenna for the on-board GPS receiver in a Motorola MW-520?

Thanks,

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: MW-520 GPS antenna

Post by Pj »

Pretty much any active GPS antenna will work.

Browse any of the major antenna catalogs...all will work. Just make sure you get the right connector to plug into the MW end.

I am using this Mobilemark 800/GPS antenna combo. Works very well.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... ventPage=1
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

What type of connector? Is it SMA or something else?

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pj

Post by Pj »

The connector that the GPS antenna should have, should be SMB, but here is the manual. I don't remember if there was a connector cable from the module to the rear of the unit or if the module end just sticks out.

In the MW800, the modules has its own RF cable to bring it out to the rear, and I just had a custom cable made between the two, to work with that antenna above.

http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/ ... sk2man.pdf
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Pj wrote:The connector that the GPS antenna should have, should be SMB, but here is the manual. I don't remember if there was a connector cable from the module to the rear of the unit or if the module end just sticks out.

In the MW800, the modules has its own RF cable to bring it out to the rear, and I just had a custom cable made between the two, to work with that antenna above.

http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/ ... sk2man.pdf
The connector end sticks out above the video BNC connector. I've never heard of a SMB connector but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all your help

Dan..

Pj

Post by Pj »

I know that the 520 GPS sits right at the rear of the unit at the bulkhead, but I wasn't sure if it allowed the actual SKII antenna port to stick out, or if Motorola extended the SK antenna port out or not. If its the actual SK connector, then the GPS cable should have an SMB end.

If you can take a pic and post it, we will all know for sure.
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Pj wrote:I know that the 520 GPS sits right at the rear of the unit at the bulkhead, but I wasn't sure if it allowed the actual SKII antenna port to stick out, or if Motorola extended the SK antenna port out or not. If its the actual SK connector, then the GPS cable should have an SMB end.

If you can take a pic and post it, we will all know for sure.
Actually come to think of it when I took the unit apart the GPS unit sits next to the hard drive and it is connected to the bulkhead with a coax pigtail. I'll take a pic of it and send it to you. The connector does look like a female SMA. send me your email address and I'll send you the pic of the rear of my unit.

Dan..

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”