MTS2000 Current Draw

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB4JGI
was whitstu

MTS2000 Current Draw

Post by WB4JGI »

I have a full keypad UHF MTS2000 and a friend of mine has a top display 800mhz MTS2000 on a Type I system. It seems both of these radios run the batteries down a lot faster than my other MTS portables. My UHF MTS also has a NiCd Impres battery on it, I charged it to full capacity last night and sit the radio on my desk in the morning and got back home after work and started to use it and the battery indicator started to show. The charger is also an Impres charger with a display, after that battery indicator started to show the charger showed the battery was at 4% capacity and that battery is the 1550mah NiCd. I haven't tried another battery yet, but I will try one this evening.

Has anybody ever heard of a MTS drawing excessive current, even while the radio is off?
Stu
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: MTS2000 Current Draw

Post by MTS2000des »

that is usually a bad PA. Happens on Jedi's. One side of the PA is on the B+ line and it will drain the battery even with the radio turned off.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

I have a spare RF board from another UHF MTS of the same band split. I'll try and swap out the RF board and see if that helps.
Stu
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

MT2000des is right. It also happens on Sabers. Mostly caused by bad RF-blocking capacitors inside the PA-module.

Keygun

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”