system saber keyboard DEAD

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kraven60

system saber keyboard DEAD

Post by kraven60 »

hello,
i have a problem with two my system saber: the keyboard is dead, radio don't take any command from it.
The radios transmit and receive fine without problems in first 16 channel but i can't go in another zone, like the keyboard is disable.
Someone can help me??? :o
thanks, Leandro
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: system saber keyboard DEAD

Post by FireCpt809 »

Sounds like your flex came loose from the front shield or the chassis.. Open the radio up and remove the front with the keypad and display and check the thin gold colored cable on the top of the left side of the radio. make sure its seated then put the radio back together
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

FireCpt809 wrote:Sounds like your flex came loose from the front shield or the chassis.. Open the radio up and remove the front with the keypad and display and check the thin gold colored cable on the top of the left side of the radio. make sure its seated then put the radio back together
Fire Captain, you're forgetting that the EEPROM for the channel memory is in the front shield assembly in the Systems Saber (and regular Saber, for that matter). If the flex cable was unseated enough to cause the keypad to not work, the radio would most likely not function at all. I suppose it is possible to be cocked at enough of an angle to have part of the pins plugged in, but not the rest, but I find it unlikely. It could conceivably be a bent pin, though.

Leandro, is this something that happened suddenly to a known working radio, or was it in this condition when you acquired it?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

On regular Sabers and european MX3000 the display board holds only the extended memory. It is possible to remove the board and reprogramm the radio as a model I without problems.

SS always have the display board installed inside the frontshield (even on Model I radios, but the board lacks the display).

Maybe the keypad-flex or controller is defective.

Keygun
kraven60

Post by kraven60 »

hello,
when I bought last SSaber seller wrote functional radio, now I sent back for replace, another I bought it more time ago, I try to fix it or search spare part, but I don't resolve the problem again, I can program the radio without problems, but keyboard don't go, I read display but no lite for example
Leandro
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

Another thing came into my mind: Is the radio really programmed as an model III? Surplus-radios are sometimes loaded with scrap to make it inoperative.

Keygun
kraven60

Post by kraven60 »

I program radio with my channel in first 16 position on zone 1, and radio is full functional, but i can't switch a new zone or another option because the keyboard is inoperative, when i read back CP on radio it's ready with all option than i write before.
Leandro
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

If you want a complete front shield assy that has amnesia PM me and I will send it out for $10 shipping and handling USA only.

It programs fine but it comes back blank after a few days.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

What version of controller (con 5, con 6 etc) is on the radio. When I worked at the depot, we always replaced con 5 controllers because of known reliability issues. The latest version controller is a con 7.
Dave
kraven60

Post by kraven60 »

DJP126 wrote:What version of controller (con 5, con 6 etc) is on the radio. When I worked at the depot, we always replaced con 5 controllers because of known reliability issues. The latest version controller is a con 7.

Con 6 I believe to remember

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”