MT2000 VHF reception

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

MT2000 VHF reception

Post by posse401 »

I recently acquired a MT2000 VHF and it doesn't seem to be receiving properly. When I listen to traffic it is often broken and cuts in and out. When I put a scanner in the same spot or next to it, the scanner picks up the traffic clearly. I am wondering if anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions? It "appears" to have the correct antenna, but I could be wrong there. Any help is appreciated.
Will

Re: MT2000 VHF reception

Post by Will »

Probably needs an alignment. The factory alignment can be scrambled if the radio has been cloned or force fed another codeplug. The tuning values are in the stored in the codeplug.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

First thing I would do as Will, said would be to put it on a service monitor. 2nd. what is the model number It should start with an "H" so we know the VHF bandsplit. Most are 136 to 174/178! Mhz. Remove the antenna and tell us if you see a color spot/code at the base. Is there any wear & tear on the antenna? (since that is one of your concerns)
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

Another common problem with VHF Jedi radios is a charring where the antenna screws into the casting. This is generally a concern for the black "dot" antennas that are the most common. I've seen this issue cause quite a few problems with VHF units in the past, however (comma) it doesn't appear to affect the other bands so much. (odd)

If you do have an alignment problem you'll want to go in and set your front end adjustment. You can follow the book if you want to but tuning it by ear is just as good as using the DC volt meter. Also, generally the softpots are around 15 points higher than the previous for a good quick tune.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”