Minitor II Pager Help!

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gauvin002
New User

Minitor II Pager Help!

Post by gauvin002 »

I have taken my minitor II apart and have noticed there are a few adjustment screws on the board. Like the smart person I am, I started fooling around with them. I realize that the white plastic philips screw head when turned counter-clockwise will open the squelch, and moving it clockwise closes it. I adjusted this clockwise until the squelch closed. Did I adjust this correctly?

Also, there are three silver squaure doo-hickies in the middle of the board with 3- white plastic screws (regular) that can be adjusted. I messed with the one on the far left side. What do these do and how do I adjust them correctly?

Lastly, there is a red tubular thing with a coil wire warped around it with a green plastic plug in it that can be adjusted with a small screwdriver. What is this and how is this adjusted? My email is greg.gauvin@uconn.edu
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: Minitor II Pager Help!

Post by nmfire10 »

That wasn't very smart. I hope you have a shop locally that and properly re-tune the pager now that you threw it all off.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
gauvin002
New User

Post by gauvin002 »

Well, I'm not a total idiot. I know the screw at the bottom is the squelch resistor, I had to adjust this anyhow. I set it to specs provided by motorola. As far as the tuning coil, when transmission is broadcast (heard through my scanner) I can tweak the tuning of this until clear reception is aquired. A buddy of mine has a tone generator in anycase should my "tuning by ear" method doesn't satisfy.

Still would like to know what those square silver shaped things on the reciever board are called and their use.
jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

Why would you even think about messing with it without the manual and proper equipment or at least document how you modified the settings. It may be cost effective to find another pager and write this off as lesson learned!
John B
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

jban wrote:Why would you even think about messing with it without the manual and proper equipment or at least document how you modified the settings. It may be cost effective to find another pager and write this off as lesson learned!
Why should he write this pager off? Nowhere does he say that the pager quit receiving or working.

Greg - The Minitor II is not a synthesized pager. All of those adjustment are for proper alignment so you can get the best possible sensitivity on your frequency. What the others are trying to tell you is, if you don't have the proper test equipment and knowledge, DON'T mess with it. Comparing your pager reception with a scanner may be o.k. with you, but the pager (if properly tuned) should be able to receive signals that the scanner won't.
Dave
gauvin002
New User

Post by gauvin002 »

No, I didn't ruin my pager and it works fine. I'm just in need of fine tuning it for best performance. The squlech resistor and tuning coil I have adjusted properly, but I am looking for the correct sequence/procedure for properly tuning the 3 IF transformer cans on the receiver board.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”