in vehicle repeator??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dbfd588
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale

in vehicle repeator??

Post by dbfd588 »

our ema director was out at a wreck the other night. the car was down over a hill. his portable would not get out. so some how he transmitted on our simplex channel to dispatch miles away. im pretty sure he transmitted to his vehicle at the top and it was relayed to dispatch. because a 5 watt portble just dont get that far. whats a cheap setup to do this with?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: in vehicle repeator??

Post by thebigphish »

Cheap? Not happening, unless you can find a used Pyramid or an old PAC-RT system. They are more common than you think, and there are some good threads on here about them. Best vehicle based systems i have seen around are the Pyramid systems, look at those.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

you could probablly get away with 2 maxtracs and an interface and a couple antennaes for under $250 if you had the room to space out the antennaes and just keep it a totally separate system from your regular mobile.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

yea i had forgot about the interface cables and maxtracs. i may have me a new project now. that sure could come in handy at times
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Years ago I converted a GE Master 2 to do this. Used a 40 watt radio tuned down to 20 watts so the radio wouldn't draw too much if the car engine wasn't running. Worked perfectly, & the GE radio was totally transparent. GARY N4KVE
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

is it possible with two 5 pin maxtracs or do i have to use the 16 pin radios?
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

Suddenly You Were Gone
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

ok i have a question. just say im doing like the ema director did. my portable has a mdc id and so does the transmit maxtrac in my homebrew repeator. which mdc id will be sent? the portable or the maxtrac? or both??
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

dbfd588 wrote:is it possible with two 5 pin maxtracs or do i have to use the 16 pin radios?

You CAN do it with two 5 pin units, it's not as easy but here is the info
http://www.batlabs.com/maxrpt.html

On the MDC question, if you use a stand alone repeater in the car just disable all MDC on the repeater radios, it should pass the portable's MDC just as any other repeater would (as long as the RX unit does not mute the MDC).

If you are utilizing your car's mobile radio for one side of the repeater, and it has MDC enabled, then it will send it's own ID, or you may get both ID's.
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

Thank you, that clears that up alot, I got a 64 ch CDM1250 ill soon be installing, I may eventually pick up a 16 pin Max. Could I hook these two up or does it have to be two radios of the same family, like a cdm with cdm OR a maxtrac with a maxtrac? Or can I mix match. I know the eBay cables say there for maxtrac cdm1250 m1225 etc.
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

my bad, thought he only wanted to know about using a "cheater repeater cable" through the back of the radio.
Suddenly You Were Gone
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

afterimage84 wrote:my bad, thought he only wanted to know about using a "cheater repeater cable" through the back of the radio.
i am. lol mods arent one of my A games.
bundy125

Post by bundy125 »

You might check with Will on this board. He was making plug and play extender and repeater modules which are very reasonable and dependable. I have a couple of the extender modules in use and they work great.

Bundy125

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”