MT-1000 audio clipping problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa1tej

MT-1000 audio clipping problem

Post by wa1tej »

I had purchased a 99-channel railroad MT-1000 on eBay & an unused mobile kit for it some years ago. It worked fine until it died, giving me the '88' display & refusing to come back to life when the RSS tech tried to reprogram it with the original code plug ( I had changed the Canadian RR channels to the local Public Safety high-band services).

I subsequently bought a replacement 99-channel non-RR unit at Dayton & had the original code plug programmed into it.

It works OK on the RR channels but on some of the 154 MHz PS channels the audio clips on speech highs on some channels. This is most annoying as it destroys the intelligibility of some transmissions. I discussed the problem on the phone with the RSS tech but he was clueless.

Is anyone familiar with this type of problem with this set & how it might be corrected?

Thanks in advance!

Jack
Will

Re: MT-1000 audio clipping problem

Post by Will »

Jack,

Check the radio's alignment it may be out enough to give you those fits.

Some of the MT1000 series have the standard receiver that requires RF alignment to cover the frequency spread you need.

Any way the alignment needs to be verified so you have a point of reference for additional troubleshooting.
Last edited by Will on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wa1tej

Post by wa1tej »

Will wrote:Jack,

Check the radio's alignment it may be out enough to give you those fits.
Thanks. 'Alignment' is a pretty general term. Can you be more specific? Thanks!

Jack
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

Maybe the squelch setting is too tight and/or the corresponding station(s) are using too much deviation.

Keygun
indigo

Post by indigo »

Jack:

Can you send me a PM email as I want to discuss some info re. the original 99ch MT unit you bought (interested who you bought from on eBay).

Thanks
Last edited by indigo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS
Indigo, out...
CAPTAINP51D
New User

Post by CAPTAINP51D »

i have done many of these radios , the symtoms you are describing sounds like somehow inadvertantly the bandsplit was changed in the programming process.
cloning a radio will change the bandsplit of the clonee, or somehow the bandsplit could have been changed from the menu. verify that you are using the correct bandsplit with each radio. i believe on the vhf radio there are 3 or 4 different bandsplit selections from the menu. if you select the wrong bandspllt and program it, the radio will accept the wrong bandsplit, but do all sorts of crazy things. the best way to ascertain this is to look at the model # of the radio and make sure what bandsplit it actually is you may have to look inside the radio for the synthesizer # to achieve this. all channels are automatically erased \(can't remember if it leaves the first channel or not). but make sure the channels entered do not exeed bandsplit limitations

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”