New System, Mototrbo, nexedge ????

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

New System, Mototrbo, nexedge ????

Post by FMROB »

Hello,

Have a host of t-band 12.5 channels. We are looking to maximize the usage of said channels, i.e. most users for the buck. We want to be able to have full control over subscriber units (on/off), the need to possibly link sites via WAN/IP, subscriber units roam from site to site as our sites are scattered.

We were seriously looking into the Kenwood Nexedge system. Very, Very feature packed. IP connectivity, roam, trunking, nice security regarding ESN verification, programming keys etc. However it is 12.5 or 6.25 based FDMA, which isn't very appealing at all. We don't want to convert the channels to 6.25, and the base equipment is very expesive from kenwood in 6.25.

Now looking at TDMA based MotoTrbo, it allows two voice paths at one time using only 12.5 khz. This is great, but what is the exact difference between the FDMA and TDMA as far as maximizing # of users vs. channels.

There is not a whole lot of literature that exactly describes what you can do with MotoTrbo. Can it be linked via internet, can it do multi site, can subscriber units roam, how is the security of programming (can we lock radios), how does it establish two different voice paths at once (different nac codes or talk groups).

Any insight into this would be awesome. The mechanics of the MotoTrbo is very appealing for usage, however the NexEdge stuff is so feature packed, where the motorola lacks information.

Thanks, Rob
Last edited by FMROB on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
batsass1
New User

Re: New System, Mototrbo, nexedge ????

Post by batsass1 »

PM sent.

Terry
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

The Mototrbo radios are actually TDMA. In digital the 12.5 kHz channel can be shared by two conversations simultaneously and the Mototrbo repeaters can handle two independent calls at one time. There are lots of white papers and application examples available in Motorola's Resource Library here:

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Document+Library

Just type mototrbo into the search box.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Nexedge is so feature packed because it's a full blown trunking system, which MotoTRBO isn't. In conventional mode, TRBO doesn't yet support IP connectivity, although I believe it's slated to arrive before 2009. There are plans to bring trunking to TRBO, but the roadmap isn't 100% clear. It's assumed Trident will develop a board to allow TRBO field radios to do regular LTR/Passport analog trunking first, with an eye to migrating into a fully digital trunking scheme later on. I've also heard rumblings about a fully Motorola designed TRBO trunking similar to SmartNet which could compete feature-wise with Nexedge, but nothing officially announced.

Think of TRBO features currently as comparable to analog MDC features...other than allowing 2 simultaneous conversations through a single repeater, you don't really get much more in TRBO over MDC in analog. Unless you're into remote control of equipment via radio, then the TRBO radios have some good built-in telemetry functions.

Judging by your current needs & desires, the nexedge system is your definite best choice.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

As a small update, I spent some of yesterday doing some side-by-side comparisons between the Kenwood NX300 Nexedge portables & the TRBO portables. The audio was very comparable...very difficult to distinguish one from the other. I'd have to give the slight edge to nexedge...slightly less 'bassy' and a little more 'analog' sounding.

One big difference that jumped out was the 'boot time'. The TRBO radios take about 4 full seconds to wake up & be ready to use. The nexedge are ready to go within about half a second. The digital voice delay is barely noticeable with nexedge, you'd swear it was analog. The digital delay with TRBO is huge in comparison, resulting in the well known 'echo effect' when the radios are close to each other.

Overall so far I'm very impressed with the nexedge technology, and the radios are extremely well constructed as well.

Oh, and my favorite feature of nexedge so far...over the air aliasing! With this feature enabled, the radios can send & receive aliases as part of the digital data stream...no more alias lists to change in your entire radio fleet whenever you add a radio...about friggin' time.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

maelv
What radios do you own?: DP3601

Post by maelv »

Hello wavetar

I have some more questions about nexedge

1. do the nexedge radios have text messaging like the trbo radios ?

2. is it possible to make a private call in NXDN Conventional ?

3. voice quality between NXDN 12,5 Khz and NXDN 6,25 Khz ?

i have searched on the web but only found info (brochures, spec,)from kenwood are there anny other places for info about nexedge?
forums or is it just to new to find more info yet ?

Maelv...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

maelv wrote:Hello wavetar

I have some more questions about nexedge

1. do the nexedge radios have text messaging like the trbo radios ?

2. is it possible to make a private call in NXDN Conventional ?

3. voice quality between NXDN 12,5 Khz and NXDN 6,25 Khz ?

i have searched on the web but only found info (brochures, spec,)from kenwood are there anny other places for info about nexedge?
forums or is it just to new to find more info yet ?

Maelv...
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. My ears can't tell the difference

It is very new, so information isn't widespread. Kenwood came to our town & gave training on it for a bunch of dealers & then we ordered the demo kit.

FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Wavetar,

I was reading somewhere that you can establish talkgroups wihtin the TRBO, and do Individual private calls with the TRBO radios. That is what we are interested in.

Also, The demo videos on line alude to the fact that on the same channel you can create different talk groups?

Any insight. Thanks, Rob
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Here is another question.

Can the Mototrbo be interfaced to a JPS NXU2A or a tone remote and work in digital?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

FMROB wrote:Wavetar,

I was reading somewhere that you can establish talkgroups wihtin the TRBO, and do Individual private calls with the TRBO radios. That is what we are interested in.

Also, The demo videos on line alude to the fact that on the same channel you can create different talk groups?

Any insight. Thanks, Rob
Yes, you can create 'talkgroups' in much the same way you can with Astro & DTR radios in conventional mode. It's not trunking, it simply allows multiple groups to share the channel, much like a community repeater with PL or DPL coding. And yes, you can also do individual private calling.
FMROB wrote:Here is another question.

Can the Mototrbo be interfaced to a JPS NXU2A or a tone remote and work in digital?
You can to an extent. Tone remotes are no problem, but anything requiring a COR is an issue because it isn't provided on the accessory connector in digital mode. So, you have to source a point inside the radio for that.

maelv

Post by maelv »

Some more questions about nexedge

1.Do the kenwood nexedge radios have the option motorola calls (radio check) in mototrbo ?
so an user can (ping) an other radio to get a response from the other radio without the remote user needs to do anything to see if the radio is within range ?

2. i cant seem so find any user guides for this radios do any one have them and is able to upload them ?

3. is someone able to make an video + pictures of the menu system and functions ?

Maelv...
citylink_uk

Post by citylink_uk »

http://nexedge.kenwood.com/

That should give you some info.

Rich
maelv

Post by maelv »

Hello citylink_uk

i have found the webpage

http://nexedge.kenwood.com/

but there is no pictures of the menu functions and no download off the user guide

Maelv...
SCLarmon

Post by SCLarmon »

Can you passively monitor a NEXEDGE Trunked system. I know it requires a ESN validation to access the system for transmit, but are you able to monitor without affiliating ?
firefighter13669
New User
What radios do you own?: M1225,F3161,F70,F5061,F33,F50V

Post by firefighter13669 »

Nexedge is developed by serveral diffrent companies.Kenwood worked with Icom on developing the system

I am currently running an Icom IDAS 6.25 Digital system.I have had no major problems with it.
The radios are simple to use and has tons of features.

The Icom system does not currently offer Trunking .The Nexedge will work with the Icom IDAS Radios.

You can set up Multiple talk groups and have the option to secure it and select your security codes.

You can do the Call Alert,Radio Check,Stun,Kill,Revive,Remote Monitor.You can all do Status Checks,emergency and man down.You can also alias your IDs

So far I have had no problems with the system and the coverage is great.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/media_eve ... ?id=200807
KC2VHB
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

wavetar wrote:
FMROB wrote:Wavetar,

Any insight. Thanks, Rob
Yes, you can create 'talkgroups' in much the same way you can with Astro & DTR radios in conventional mode. It's not trunking, it simply allows multiple groups to share the channel, much like a community repeater with PL or DPL coding. And yes, you can also do individual private calling.
FMROB wrote:Here is another question.

You can to an extent. Tone remotes are no problem, but anything requiring a COR is an issue because it isn't provided on the accessory connector in digital mode. So, you have to source a point inside the radio for that.
COR is avail now on the pins.
Suddenly You Were Gone
ceee3rdo
New User

Post by ceee3rdo »

Hi i want to know how hard is the integration to a pbx whit a nexedge??, it's easier wiht the mototrbo???? Thk.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”