Motorola 800MHZ TYPE2 Spectra Scanning

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

davkenrem
What radios do you own?: STX, Spectra, Maxtrac, MTS2000

Motorola 800MHZ TYPE2 Spectra Scanning

Post by davkenrem »

What model number Spectra would I need if I want one that will scan?
eacradio

Post by eacradio »

Takes a B5/C5 or better, but still will only do subfleet scan in one system
davkenrem

Post by davkenrem »

Like a D35ZXA5JC5AK ?
RKG

Post by RKG »

I'm not sure eacradio is correct: our experience with B5 and C5 Spectras set for "talkgroup scan" is that you can mix trunked modes from different systems -- and conventional channels -- in a scan list. The penalty that attaches to cross-system scanning -- in any trunked radio -- is non-obvious audio holes. That is, the radio can listen to only one control channel at a time, and it does this sequentially. If your radio is parked on System 2's control channel, it will miss any traffic on System 1 even though System 2 is quiet. It is for this reason that we discourage progamming for cross-system unless the user understands what he may be missing.

B and C Spectras will not support priority scan in trunked modes.
davkenrem

Post by davkenrem »

I just want to scan talkgroups on one system, I read on Batlabs Spectra page that scanning wont work on this radio. Anyone know for sure?
RKG

Post by RKG »

There are so many Spectra model numbers that I sometimes think that no two radios have the same one -- and I have learned not to trust tables that supposedly decode these numbers. For what it is worth, I've seen a lot of C5 Spectras and I've never seen one that won't scan Type II trunked talkgroups.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Guys, you're just a little wrong on the spectras.

The B5 and B7 does non priority scan only. C5, C7 C9 will do priority, dual priority scan and will scan multiple systems. The scan settings are scattered across several places and if you don't set them all correctly it won't work as you ask.

My C5 which is the same as the model number commented upon does dual priority talkgrou scan just fine and on a per zone basis.

You just have to know what to enable.

C2 spectra i.e control stations don't scan at all.

You are correct, scanning multiple systems doesn't work well. Mixing trunked and conventional isn't too bad, but it works best if you're just scanning one system since the scan features is based off the control channel, non carrier activity\
apco25

Post by apco25 »

FYI, SOMEONE really needs to change the scan information listed on the spectra pages. Its completely wrong and missleads everyone into thinking trunked spectra mobile will not scan.
RKG

Post by RKG »

apco25: I have a bunch of C5 and C7 Spectras, including three with identical "model" numbers. One will do priority scan and two list that feature as "unavailable" (not "disabled" or "not selected"). They also differ in other respects, notably whether they will do "zones" (in the MTSX sense of "zones," not the SmartZone sense). This is part of the experience that has led me to belief that Spectra model numbers are as much affected by the alignment of the planets when the number is assigned than by the radio's inherent functions.

In theory, any SmartNet capable radio will do priority scanning; this is the reason why in setting up a SmartNet system, you can only use half the possible T/G IDs (the ones that are hexadecimal "even," which means the ones that end in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, or F). But the trouble with theory is that it is only theory.

My rule with Spectras has since become that you can't know for sure what features the radio will support unless you read it first.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

You are correct, but I think what you're finding is a varience within models numbers based on firmware. All of the late model radios with firmware revisions above 6.0 support scanning as i have described. Older radios like the one listed in the model specific page are a hit or miss deal. Same goes if you're looking at the radio ID tag. White tags are older, black tags are late model spectras. You may also be running into goofy codeplugs improperly loaded by people causing inccorect features. Current firmware in a C series spectra should get you priority scan. Of course we know how Motorola so as you suggested your best bet is to read the radio or at least go through service mode and find out the firmware version.
davkenrem

Post by davkenrem »

Thanks for all the info guys, When I pull up my codeplug, and edit it, the scan options are available, so I will try to program it to the radio and see if it works.
OX

Post by OX »

My rule with Spectras has since become that you can't know for sure what features the radio will support unless you read it first.
You're exactly right. Now, I've never seen a B5 or B7 series Spectra that wasn't capable of Type 2 or 2i AND didn't have dual priority scan. EVERY spectra I've owned was capable of these features without any intervention on my part.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”