Help with Reset Functions Minitor 5's

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BFD290
New User

Help with Reset Functions Minitor 5's

Post by BFD290 »

Hello -

I just bought 80 Minitor V pagers and I am right now programming then, can someone tell me the difference between what Automatic, Revert and Manual are in the Reset Functions.

Thank you
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: Help with Reset Functions Minitor 5's

Post by ai4ui »

Automatic: This setting allows the pager to automatically reset after a programmed number of seconds after the first carrier drops. Basically the pager receives it's activation tones & the squelch will open up. If the dispatcher pauses between the transmission of the carrier that sent the pager tone & they give the dispatch information the timer will start counting down at that first carrier drop. If they are still talking it will reset anyhow. If they immediately start giving the dispatch information and do not allow the carrier to drop then the timer will wait until that carrier drops to start the countdown. If there is no carrier it will blow white noise until the timer counts down & it resets. This is a pretty nice setting for fire station house alarms because nothing says "Nobody home" like continuous radio traffic coming from an outside speaker.

Revert: When the pager receives it's activation tone it switches to carrier squelch monitor mode until the reset button is pressed. The squelch functions just as it would if monitor mode were selected on the switch. This is good for folks who carry a pager because they don't have to do anything to listen to the channel after the pager is activated. There is a variation of this that blends Automatic & Revert where instead of resetting after the timer counts down it then switches to monitor mode. If there is no carrier it will blow white noise until the timer counts down & it resets. This may be helpful in areas with poor signal strength because they might be able to hear something through the noise on the initial page.

Manual: You have to press the reset button to stop it from blowing white noise. Makes it act like a Pagecom or Director pager. Not sure why someone would use this setting but it is available.

Hope this helps

RG
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
kyparamedic
New User

Post by kyparamedic »

Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but I found this while searching the forums and it seems applicable to my question. Our problem is that there is interference on our dispatch channel from a nearby utility. It's not an issue except when in monitor mode and then you hear what sounds like some type of data stream that's very annoying. Once our tones go off, the pager reverts to monitor mode and you hear this annoying noise until you hit the reset button. Is there anyway to have it not go to monitor mode but instead reset to alert mode without hitting the reset button? Or have it keep the PL tones on instead of open monitoring?

Thanks!
jclendenen158
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, XTS5000

Post by jclendenen158 »

kyparamedic wrote:Is there anyway to have it not go to monitor mode but instead reset to alert mode without hitting the reset button?
Auto reset will reset the pager to Selective Mode as soon as it detects the first carrier drop.

If your dispatch drops between tones and dispatch, I would recommend Delay N sec Auto Reset as it will wait a certain amount of seconds before it checks for carrier drop. Then, once it detects a carrier drop it will reset to Selective Mode.
kyparamedic wrote:Or have it keep the PL tones on instead of open monitoring?
It isn't possible to use PL's in Minitor pagers.
kyparamedic
New User

Post by kyparamedic »

jclendenen158 wrote:
kyparamedic wrote:Is there anyway to have it not go to monitor mode but instead reset to alert mode without hitting the reset button?
Auto reset will reset the pager to Selective Mode as soon as it detects the first carrier drop.

If your dispatch drops between tones and dispatch, I would recommend Delay N sec Auto Reset as it will wait a certain amount of seconds before it checks for carrier drop. Then, once it detects a carrier drop it will reset to Selective Mode.
Ok. What's the difference between Delay N and Revert N? Revert N is how most of them are currently programmed. Our dispatch does drop the carrier between tones and voice. I don't see an option though for auto reset, unless you're talking about setting the reset function to automatic. Is this function selected somewhere else?

Thanks!
jclendenen158

Post by jclendenen158 »

kyparamedic wrote:What's the difference between Delay N and Revert N?
Delayed N will wait N seconds before checking for carrier drop. Once it is detected, the pager will go back into Selective Mode.
Revert N will wait N seconds before checking, but will then remain in monitor mode until the reset button is pushed.
kyparamedic wrote:I don't see an option though for auto reset, unless you're talking about setting the reset function to automatic.
Yes, that is the function I was referring to.

As an example, our dispatch drops carrier between tones and dispatch, also; I have mine set to Delayed N with 9.6 seconds which is usually plenty of time.
kyparamedic
New User

Post by kyparamedic »

Most of ours are currently set to Revert N with 30 seconds. This seems awfully long to me. Does it have anything to do with the fact that sometimes there will be 4 to 5 sets of tones? They don't drop the carrier in-between tone sets so I'm thinking not. Dispatch never goes for more than 2-4 seconds after carrier drop until voice. In fact, I think it's automatic because it occasionally it seems like they're not ready to begin talking.

If I understand correctly, changing from Revert N to Delay N will still work the same except that the pager will reset afterwards instead of going to monitor mode. Correct?

Thanks!
jclendenen158

Post by jclendenen158 »

kyparamedic wrote:Most of ours are currently set to Revert N with 30 seconds. This seems awfully long to me. Does it have anything to do with the fact that sometimes there will be 4 to 5 sets of tones? They don't drop the carrier in-between tone sets so I'm thinking not.
No, I doubt it is because of multiple sets of tones. If there isn't a carrier drop between the tones, the timer won't start until the tones are finished. So there really isn't a need to have it set to 30 seconds.
kyparamedic wrote:Dispatch never goes for more than 2-4 seconds after carrier drop until voice.
So, I would set the timer to 10 seconds. Any longer than that is almost unnecessary, in your case.
kyparamedic wrote:If I understand correctly, changing from Revert N to Delay N will still work the same except that the pager will reset afterwards instead of going to monitor mode. Correct?
Yep, you got it.
slingshot202
New User

Post by slingshot202 »

I think I am more confused than I was with the Help Guide now that I found this post.

I want my pager to stay open after the tones go out because sometimes in the middle of the night you miss something important running out of the house. Ours were set to 30 seconds.

I have switched it to Revert like my squad pager which I need to depress the button to reset it. I am confused as to Revert N. I certainly don't want noise after activation, bad enough I get that when it is recording, so, what is Revert N?
jclendenen158

Post by jclendenen158 »

slingshot202 wrote:...what is Revert N?
Revert N will just put a timer on the function. The only purpose I could think of for this would be for Stored Voice recording.

When dispatch drops the carrier between tones and voice, if there weren't a timer keeping the recorder going you wouldn't get the voice in the recording. Other than that, they're pretty much the same function.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”