New Thales Liberty(tm) Triband Handheld

Have a question or information regarding interfacing or interoperating Motorola digital radios with models from other manufacturers? Here's the place to do so.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mr.syntrx

Re: New Thales Liberty(tm) Triband Handheld

Post by mr.syntrx »

escomm wrote:(and I do believe the Liberty is Type 1 compatible, yes?)
Nope. In any case you can't do type 1 (and have the item remain unclassified CCI) without additional hardware.
gdsteele

Post by gdsteele »

Does anyone have an idea when the Liberty might be available to the general public?
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I haven't been following dual/multi-band portables for a while now, but is the Thales Liberty Triband Handheld clearly the best of the bunch or has Harris or Motorola moved ahead? I realize that this can have some very subjective answers, but if, for example, Thales Liberty is the only one with three bands, that is pretty objective.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I think you answered your own question.

There's a lot of info posted on this Board about the subject, mostly about the Thales Liberty and the Motorola APX7000, but very little about the Harris radio, whose exact name I can't recall. Use the search function and you'll come up with a ton of stuff.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Harris Unity XG-100
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

It looks like the need for VHF high band, UHF 406-470, and 800 mHz still narrows the list in short order.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Does the mobile version of the Liberty exist? I have been asked to research multiband mobiles for a potential tac vehicle purchase. I can't seem to find anything about the mobile version on their web site.
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

There is not a mobile version, yet.....
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

The mobile version Liberty was unveiled last year @ IWCE. It was a portable's guts rearranged into a mobile DIN sized structure. I understand this is back-burner until the portable is in full production. Do want.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

I've had pretty good luck with Thales. I bought a couple of T25s on eBay surplus from a project in New Hampshire and have been very pleased with them. My experience with Thales is limited to the T25 (not the Liberty), but the overall radio design and service delivery from Thales is about the best that I have seen.

Here's a couple of good things about Thales - you don't need to have your wallet out every time that you want to upgrade your radio's features.

The Thales 25s are all FPP and all display unit IDs - standard.

Register on their site, and you can download the following for free- Radio OS flash upgrades, Programming software. Nothing free from Big M. You can buy the programming cable, but it's easy to make your own from an old RS-232 cable.

The programming software for the T25 is much easier to use and intuitive than the CPS for the XTS 3000.

You don't need a KVL to generate and load keys on a T25. The programming software allows you to create keys and download them with the same programming cable. The unit will work with a KVL too.

I am a volunteer SAR Tech and our team works under the state DPS. Thales extended their discount to us, and it was substantial.

I've called with service and parts questions, and Thales treated me like I was the Pentagon. They almost couldn't do enough to help me out, and I wasn't spending a lot either. I don't always get the same caliber of service from M.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of their radios, the options included in their standard packages, and their exceptional service.

Based on my albeit limited experience, I would highly recommend Thales. If someone gets a Liberty, let us all know how that pans out as far as features and customer service.

-Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

I've been working with the great people at Thales for just over a year; DHS Liberty pilot site. I could go on and on about their attention to the customer. They are a class act and have set the bar high. They are also true to P25 and its purpose.

I know they read these post so I'll say THANKS Team Thales!

pr
motorolo

Post by motorolo »

Not to dredge up old topics, but has the LIberty gotten any closer to being purchased by mere mortals? I dunno about you guys, but I wasn't born with GSA schedules in my hands :o I think I would trade my XTS gear for the Liberty based on the programming software alone...

Return to “Motorola Digital Radio Compatability”