Motorola RIB

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4vwa
New User

Motorola RIB

Post by kb4vwa »

I have a Motorola RIB, that I am not sure is working, its been years I mess with this stuff. Is there a way to test a rib? I am attempting to program several motorola radios, i.e. M100, STX, spectra, and I get power errors. Also, I have no real slow enough PC to run my software, I get runtime errors, but now using MOSLO to slow things down. Still I get no communication with radio. I am thinking of just ordering an after market RIB and seeing what happens. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Motorola RIB

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ed,

A new Motorola 4008 RIB always works. Aftermarket RIBs usually work, plus they're a lot less expensive than the 4008.
And you'd be best served if you could find an old, working, 25 to 60 mHz 486 laptop with a serial port that's been set up to boot in
DOS 6.22 and NOT run that "imitation" DOS that runs under the Windows platforms.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Tom,

Thank you for the great reply. Your information is a great re-fresher on the Motorola programming. I have forgotten so much back from the late 80's. I got rid of all my old PC's, and now I can shoot myself in the foot for that.

Last, is there anyone here that can fix my existing Motorola RIB, which I think is defective?

Thank you all for the help!

Ed
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ed,

I'm sorry but I had to moderate the part of your post that involved buying or trading as you can't do that here while on moderated status. There are tons of cheap laptops on eBay and other similar sites these days. Fixing the RIB is another matter, and if I were you I'd try one of the aftermarket units that run about $35 each.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Tom,

Sorry brother, no problem, I did not mean to break that rule. I will check e-bay and see what I can find.

Question, does BATLABS have a list of all control heads model numbers and their compatibility with Spectra radios? I have several HLN6075C A-7 heads I cannot get to work with my low & high power VHF Spectras. I just bought some HNL6432 on ebay, I hope these work, or I up the creek! LOL

Anyways, thanks.

Ed
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ed,

No harm, no foul on the selling business thing.

Take a look at the Spectra section of Batlabs and see what's there about swapping Spectra heads; there should be something helpful. Also take a look at repeaterbuilder.com.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
Will

Post by Will »

kb4vwa wrote:Tom,

Last, is there anyone here that can fix my existing Motorola RIB, which I think is defective?

Thank you all for the help!

Ed
Yes I can repair Motorola RIB's some aftermarket RIBs, and cables.

Return to “Radio Programming”