Run-time Error

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4vwa
New User

Run-time Error

Post by kb4vwa »

I am attempting to run MSF500 RSS, and get the following error:

run-time error R6009
-not enough space for environment

My PC is a Dell P133 Mhz DOS 6.0.

I tried using MOSLO, and still get same error.

Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks

Ed
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Run-time Error

Post by HLA »

stop using moslo and go to microsoft and download the latest runtime
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Will

Post by Will »

Computer is probably too fast for the older RSS. Some have had luck disabling the FIFO Buffers.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Will wrote:Computer is probably too fast for the older RSS. Some have had luck disabling the FIFO Buffers.
If I knew how to disable I would. Does anyone have a script for setting up my config.sys, or other parameters to get this Dell P133 running? I would like to remove WIN98, and simply run the DOS 6.0.

What laptop PC configuration out there is sure to work with my RSS? I will just find one and buy it. I have like 5 computers and none will run my MRSS. This is very frustrating.

Thank you all!
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

There is a small DOS program called "cacheoff.com" that has solved a number of issues with some of the slower Motorola programs. You may want to run it before starting any of the older radio programs.

There is also a "MOSLO.COM" pro program for about $29 that allows you to pick various different options to slow down your computer. I have used it for some time now and have to even use it on a number of slow computers when I program a Syntor X9000 radio.

Jim
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

kb4vwa wrote:
Will wrote:Computer is probably too fast for the older RSS. Some have had luck disabling the FIFO Buffers.
If I knew how to disable I would. Does anyone have a script for setting up my config.sys, or other parameters to get this Dell P133 running? I would like to remove WIN98, and simply run the DOS 6.0.

What laptop PC configuration out there is sure to work with my RSS? I will just find one and buy it. I have like 5 computers and none will run my MRSS. This is very frustrating.

Thank you all!
So are you running true DOS or a DOS window in WIN98?

Jason
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Jason,

I am running WIN98 SE and I think Dos 6.?, but I ran a program called check it, and it tell me DOS 7.10. Heck, I am not sure what I have. Is there a simple sure way to determine what I am running? I would not mine wiping the drive and starting from zero, installing whatever I need to get this PC to run MRSS.
KB9KST wrote:
kb4vwa wrote:

Thank you all!

Jason
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Well,

some progress, I got a copy of cacheoff,com and some programs are running, but other are now getting error:

"error 2003: Integer divide by 0"

LOL!! :lol:

Ed

KB9KST wrote:
kb4vwa wrote:

Thank you all!

Jason
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

I think I just may have to purchase a new copy of Moslo (Mo'Slo 4BIZ version 3.3), etc, and maybe fix my issues, or find an old 286 at a yard sale... :lol:

Ed
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Troubleshoot the problem one item at a time, thus saving yourself a LOT of wasted effort.

First and foremost, you were asked if you were running true DOS or that crappy DOS that runs under Windows. The Windows DOS does NOT work right with any RSS. It may read the device but usually it will not write to the device. The only safe way to run a Motorola RSS that requires DOS is to load DOS 6.22 and boot from it. If after you do that the program still glitches THEN you can use the MOSLO, but odds are that a 133 processor speed will work okay. Remember that your buss speed is usually much lower than the processor's speed and most of the DOS RSS programs will run nicely at 60 or 75 mHz buss speed.

You can find DOS 6.22 available for free at several sites on the web. You can also research the DOS vs. Windows subject here on this Board as there is a ton of info posted, and one post has one of the 6.22 download sites but right now I can't tell you exactly where it is.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Tom,

Thanks!. I am currently installing DOS 6.2, and will see what happens.

Ed
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

Which version of the MSF5000 RSS are you using? If you are below 5.xx or so, pure DOS and a slow machine (non pentium) is all that worked for me years ago.
I was able to run a mid 5.xx (don't remember exact)version of that RSS on WIN98 booted into DOS on a 1GHZ Pentium or so .....

Dave
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

Ver 3.12

I am going to load DOS 6.22 and try it.

Thanks

Ed

quote="MSS-Dave"]Which version of the MSF5000 RSS are you using? If you are below 5.xx or so, pure DOS and a slow machine (non pentium) is all that worked for me years ago.
I was able to run a mid 5.xx (don't remember exact)version of that RSS on WIN98 booted into DOS on a 1GHZ Pentium or so .....

Dave[/quote]
HLA

Post by HLA »

I use a p2 133 ibm with windows me on it and to program one of those I use a me startup disk to get it into dos and it works the first time every time. moslo might help to run the program but it causes more problems with the interface to the radio. Where did you get the software? Is it a real copy from Motorola or is it a pirated copy that might be missing some files. The runtime error is what's getting me, usually Motorola puts the correct version of runtime on the disk that the program needs. and what are you using for a cable?
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
kb4vwa
New User

Post by kb4vwa »

HLA,

I think I have most everything running now. I still would like to have a dedicated PC with DOS 6.22, etc.. to run all my MRSS. Anyways, thank for the help. Oh, which DOS Ver are you using to boot from and are you then using the MRSS on a floppy, or off HD?

Thanks

Ed
HLA

Post by HLA »

it's not a specific version of dos, it's a windows startup disk created from 98 or me, it starts the computer in a basic dos mode and i have all of my dos porgrams on the hd
HLA
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

For what it's worth, I've NEVER gotten the latest version of MSF5000 software (5.21) to start up in ANY Windows-booted system. I wish it would at least come up so I could view an existing code plug, but it won't even do that. I either get an "environment" error or a "run-time" error.

It does work perfectly on my Dell 850 MHz P3 laptop (with a real serial port) that's booted to the version of MS-DOS that came with Win98. I use that because it supports long file names and the FAT32 file system that's on the WinXP hard drive. It also works fine on MS-DOS Version 6.2x which is available "out there".

The MSF5000 communicates with the programming computer at a neck-snapping 1200 baud, so computer speed should not be an issue, but it's always possible. I think they learned how to talk to the serial port in a speed-independent fashion by the time they discontinued the MSF5000 products.

Bob M.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

kcbooboo wrote:For what it's worth, I've NEVER gotten the latest version of MSF5000 software (5.21) to start up in ANY Windows-booted system. I wish it would at least come up so I could view an existing code plug, but it won't even do that. I either get an "environment" error or a "run-time" error.

It does work perfectly on my Dell 850 MHz P3 laptop (with a real serial port) that's booted to the version of MS-DOS that came with Win98. I use that because it supports long file names and the FAT32 file system that's on the WinXP hard drive. It also works fine on MS-DOS Version 6.2x which is available "out there".

The MSF5000 communicates with the programming computer at a neck-snapping 1200 baud, so computer speed should not be an issue, but it's always possible. I think they learned how to talk to the serial port in a speed-independent fashion by the time they discontinued the MSF5000 products.

Bob M.

Bob brings up an important point we all have not mentioned so far. In the DOS controlled
operation, you have to follow the normal file name format. This means a name that is no
longer than 8 characters in length.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kb4vwa wrote:Ver 3.12
As is almost always the case, the reason you need a dirt-old computer is because you have a dirt-old version of the RSS.

If you wish to use a faster computer, you should always use the latest & greatest version, matching up to the 'Pentium Compatility Matrix' put out by Motorola, which is stickied here in this very forum:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52894

If you use the latest MSF version, listed as RVN4077'G' (5.22.00 - written Feb '95) you will have much better results with much newer machines, as it is largely processor speed independant, which the previous versions were not.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”