GP380 Programming

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fallspolice
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XTL2500, MTX850

GP380 Programming

Post by fallspolice »

Hello everyone. I have a UHF GP380, and a ribless usb programming cable. I am able to open the software, but I cannot read the radio. I keep getting a comport error. I am using a 32 bit windows XP machine. Do I need some type of USB driver? I have always used a serial port cable to program my other radios and never had an issue. Thanks in advance for all of your help!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: GP380 Programming

Post by HLA »

Motorola never made a usb programming cable for that radio so rule of thumb, if the factory didn't make one, don't expect an aftermarket one to work. That thing is basically a usb to serial converter with a cable end on it all in one. get a real rib and cable and not only will it program correctly but you won't brick the radio. Plus that radio is an overseas radio and i don't think it's fcc approved over here in the US if you are here. And are you even using the correct cps? If you are here in the US I don't think Motorola will sell you that cps? good luck
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
J.Sanor
What radios do you own?: Twin-V and an HT200

Post by J.Sanor »

Dave, Yes you will need a USB driver to make the cable work. I have had a few and the work fine as long as you find a driver. Jon
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

quck qestion on usb driver. Is the driver the same for all the usb riblees cabels or is the a different driver for each radio?
J.Sanor
What radios do you own?: Twin-V and an HT200

Post by J.Sanor »

Depends on the chip used om the cable. I have windows search for new hardware see what type of chipset it finds then do a Google search for a matching driver.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”