XTS 3000 PreMature Low Battery Alert

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CBP_LB
What radios do you own?: XTS3000-III UHF

XTS 3000 PreMature Low Battery Alert

Post by CBP_LB »

Its been awhile since I have owned a /\/\ Radio, but has anyone figured out how to fix the premature low battery alert? Without disabling it completely.

I currently have a XTS 3000 Model III w/BatteryZone's AC8299MHXT, 2700mah NiMH

btw I did a search but was only able to find a fix for the Impress Battery.

Thanks in advance
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

In Loving Memory; We miss you DAD!
http://iaff935.org/index.cfm?section=8&pagenum=264
kf4lhp

Re: XTS 3000 PreMature Low Battery Alert

Post by kf4lhp »

CBP_LB

Post by CBP_LB »

Thanks, I had found that Topic already, but it is referring to the Impress "smart" battery, I am not using any Impress Batteries.

I did try to cover the middle connector with electrical tape, still giving me low battery alert on a freshly charged battery.
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

CBP_LB wrote:
Thanks, I had found that Topic already, but it is referring to the Impress "smart" battery, I am not using any Impress Batteries.

I did try to cover the middle connector with electrical tape, still giving me low battery alert on a freshly charged battery.
How old is the battery? Also, I had a BatteryZone battery for mine, and it started doing the same thing, along with powering off and rebooting when I bumped the battery. Only fix was to get a moto original battery. BatteryZone's return process is easy, I'd try returning it and getting a new one before I got a moto battery, if your still in warrenty, but once I got the moto battery my problems went away.
Tyler Lewis
mike m

Post by mike m »

Did you read the other replies in the link that KF4HLP mentioned ?

Astro tuner has a setting in it where you connect an external power supply to the radio and then perform the low battery indicator level, the help topics mention 7.2 volts but i have mine set for 6.95 volts and i found this used to work great for my radios
CBP_LB

Post by CBP_LB »

Thanks everyone for the help, I have decided to go with /\/\ OEM battery that should solve the problem, but this radio needs a lot of work before I upgrade to a IMPRES battery.
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

Jason

Post by Jason »

A REAL battery will certiainly fix this. Think those cheesy low priced aftermarkets go thru the testing the OEM batteries do? Not hardly. Rf is loading the battery, and causing voltage drop, or more likely stray RF in the DC input to your portable.
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Re: XTS 3000 PreMature Low Battery Alert - more info...

Post by AL7OC »

I started having the same problem too. It may be due to stray RF getting into the battery sense line. I noticed that the problem is worse with a Motorola center fed VHF wideband antenna than a 5/8 telescoping whip. -Using M batteries - RNN4006AR. If the radio is left on for about 15 minutes or so after installing a fully charged battery, the problem goes away. The battery then goes at least a day of solid use before the radio indicates a low battery again. Maybe a very full battery and the right antenna combo creates a little extra RF on the sense lead? Just a guess...

Before you ditch a battery, experiment with a different antenna, or allow the battery to run down slightly to see if that solves the problem.

Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”