TRBO / SmartZone

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

TRBO / SmartZone

Post by escomm »

Any ideas why the CPS will allow entry of multiple talkgroups under a personality but will not allow access of those talkgroups from the menu? Does the CPS default to using the first talkgroup within the personality when multiple talkgroups are present? Makes for great fun having to enter the failsoft for every talkgroup!

Anyone got a clear explanation of how dynamic talkgroups should work? The help file is utterly useless and nobody in post sales support knows how to program trunking info into the radio.

Any clarity as to why Motorola suggests entering the announcement group as its own personality when the system tab has a field for the announcement group ID? Shouldn't the announcement group ID on the system tab provide that announcement talkgroup to all personalities using that system?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: TRBO / SmartZone

Post by escomm »

Sorry this is SmartNet, not SmartZone.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:Any ideas why the CPS will allow entry of multiple talkgroups under a personality but will not allow access of those talkgroups from the menu? Does the CPS default to using the first talkgroup within the personality when multiple talkgroups are present? Makes for great fun having to enter the failsoft for every talkgroup!

Anyone got a clear explanation of how dynamic talkgroups should work? The help file is utterly useless and nobody in post sales support knows how to program trunking info into the radio.

Any clarity as to why Motorola suggests entering the announcement group as its own personality when the system tab has a field for the announcement group ID? Shouldn't the announcement group ID on the system tab provide that announcement talkgroup to all personalities using that system?
I've only looked at my first TRBO SmartNet codeplug yesterday...hooray for learning! Here's what I've learned so far...

You can enter multiple talkgroups in the personality, as you've seen. Let's say you enter 16 of them & define the TG ID's & whatnot. If they are all on the same failsoft freqs, simply choose 'personality' for failsoft type and define your frequencies once in the 'failsoft frequency' field...uncheck 'secondary failsoft' if you're not using it. All the failsoft fields in the talkgroup list will now be grayed out, as they will all reference the defined freqs in the 'failsoft frequency' field.

Now, highlight the personality in the channel list, and choose 'copy'. Now highlight 'channel' and choose 'paste'. It will duplicate the entire personality, and you simply rename it, and choose the next talkgroup under the 'talkgroup' field.

Clear as mud?

I haven't played with the ATG yet...I see it can be defined for each personality, which is normal...I don't understand yet why it asks you to chose one of the personalities under the 'system'...
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Aha, I get it now.

Set up a master codeplug with every potential talkgroup in it, then when a radio is put into service simply copy/paste the personality as many times as you need to add the talkgroups, then assign the actual talkgroup within that personality from the drop down list. In my case, the customer has failsoft done on a talkgroup basis, so yeah, set failsoft type to talkgroup and then manual entry of the failsoft freqs will need to be done after assigning the talkgroup to the personality.

Still waiting for word back from Motorola on the announcement groups, have a feeling it will be a convoluted explanation. They are still looking into providing an explanation for dynamic talk groups as well, the help file is sooooo lacking. Whoever decided to replace RSS manuals with the CPS help files should be drug out in the street and shot :lol:

Also found that TRBO supports conventional and trunking talkgroups within the same personality through the talkgroup scan list type.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:Aha, I get it now.

Set up a master codeplug with every potential talkgroup in it, then when a radio is put into service simply copy/paste the personality as many times as you need to add the talkgroups, then assign the actual talkgroup within that personality from the drop down list. In my case, the customer has failsoft done on a talkgroup basis, so yeah, set failsoft type to talkgroup and then manual entry of the failsoft freqs will need to be done after assigning the talkgroup to the personality.
Yep, you got her. If you use 'talkgroup' failsoft, then yeah, you have to enter the frequencies manually for each, but that's the same as any other model.
escomm wrote: Still waiting for word back from Motorola on the announcement groups, have a feeling it will be a convoluted explanation.
No doubt.
escomm wrote: They are still looking into providing an explanation for dynamic talk groups as well, the help file is sooooo lacking.
Are you looking for what 'dynamic regrouping' is?
escomm wrote:Whoever decided to replace RSS manuals with the CPS help files should be drug out in the street and shot.
Usually, the CPS help files are very informative...the problem is I believe the Smartnet board was designed by Trident, not Motorola...so the information to M is probably limited too.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Speaking of SmartZone...

What, if any, timeline did Mot have for a SmartZone type Trbo config to be available?

Just curious...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Became available when the 800MHz radios began shipping, the smartnet/smartzone radios have their own firmware and bootloader, so no digital and trunking at the same time
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

My mistake,

I'm looking for the Trbo version of a SmartZone system.

IE: 5 repeaters at several sites linked together as 1 giant system... using digital trbo.

I'm trying to remember the roadmap and if it included something like this or not.

tpg
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Are you talking about Connect Plus? Multi site trunking? Or some extension of the 3600 protocol?
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

I'm just talking about making the Trbo system mirror SmartZone topology.

Essentially, have 5 trunk sites that talk to each other for roaming.

Portable A at Site 1 uses a common talkgroup to talk to Portable B at Site 5.

I'm not talking about IP connect, I'm asking if they can link all the channels and slots across trunk sites as needed.
(SmartZone roaming)

Did that describe it right?

tpg
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yup, sounds just like Connect Plus multisite trunking. From the marketing blurb:

Code: Select all

No need to change channels
As you travel from one site to the next, you can keep your focus on the job instead of hassling with manual site changes. Dynamic site roaming automatically registers you with the nearest site so you can travel and always stay connected.

Greater system efficiency
Users will only register with the nearest site controller rather than all the controllers in the system. This Dynamic Site Assignment makes the system far more efficient. It uses only those resources that are needed at each site to complete your call, so the overall capacity of your system is increased.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”