Repeater and duplexer cables

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jwussler

Repeater and duplexer cables

Post by jwussler »

im going to be putting together somthing similar to a gr300 but with a 100 watt pa and a motorola T1500 dulexer

so im going to need to know what the best cables (type/kind/size/etc) to get/make for the following on my repeater setup.

RX maxtrac to duplexer: mini uhf connector to PL259 connector cable
TX maxtrac to PA: mini uhf connector to N connector cable
PA Output to duplexer: N connector to PL259 connector cable

please let me know what types would be best i was told to use RG/400 and that would be fine then i heard 1/4 heliax? so thats why i figured id post
tvsjr

Re: Repeater and duplexer cables

Post by tvsjr »

This probably belongs in infrastructure, but no biggie.

The general theory is to not use coax-style cable anywhere duplex operation occurs, due to the rare occurrence of duplex noise (basically, transmit power causes the dissimilar materials to move in very small amounts, causing noise on the receive side). So, on the output side of the duplexer, Heliax is preferred. 1/2" Superflex to your lightning arrestor at the halo ground system is typical.

The locations you listed are all half-duplex, and thus not as critical. I've used LMR-240 Ultraflex for these runs with great success... RG400 or 142 is also commonly seen. You can't go wrong with 1/4" Superflex, of course... just be sure you install the connectors properly and observe the minimum bend radius.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

rg142 - the brown stuff cut greater than a half wave length but not at odd quarter wave increments for band of interest.
jwussler

Post by jwussler »

wanted

if someone could give me a price to make these cables im going to get my repeater on air

this is with sugested LMR-240 Ultraflex

Reciver to duplexer cable: Mini-UHf male end 1 LMR-240 Ultraflex cable PL259 end 2 40 inches
Transmitter to pa cable: Mini-uhf male end 1 LMR-240 Ultraflex cable N male end 2 40
PA Out to duplex N Male end 1 LMR-240 Ultraflex cable N male end 2 40 inches

also was told about rg400? is it any better to use for my

gr500 100 watt tpl pa and motorola T1500 duplexer?

just need the best cables that give the best performance, i already have the hardline up and good on the tower thats taken care of

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”