offline flashcode decoder app for Android or iPhone?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb9mqu

offline flashcode decoder app for Android or iPhone?

Post by kb9mqu »

I'm going to Dayton this year and would like to be able to decode flashcodes from my smartphone. Last time I was at the Hamvention I couldn't get 3G to work reliably. Is there a flashcode decoder that works offline (no internet access required)? Ideally there would be an app for the Android or iPhone platforms, but I could also bring a netbook running Windows or Linux if that was required.

Thanks!

Kevin

PS - If an app doesn't yet exist and someone would like to write one, I'd be willing to pay a few dollars for it. Might be a way to make some extra cash.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: offline flashcode decoder app for Android or iPhone?

Post by bezking »

Sort of OT but who is your carrier that it didn't work well at Dayton?
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

kb9mqu

Post by kb9mqu »

bezking wrote:Sort of OT but who is your carrier that it didn't work well at Dayton?
It was AT&T with an iPhone. That was last year. Worked in Dayton, just not at Hara arena during the Hamvention. I could make voice calls, but not data. I'm on Verizon with a Droid now, so maybe it'll work better?

Kevin
kb9mqu

Post by kb9mqu »

kb9mqu wrote:I'm going to Dayton this year and would like to be able to decode flashcodes from my smartphone. Last time I was at the Hamvention I couldn't get 3G to work reliably. Is there a flashcode decoder that works offline (no internet access required)? Ideally there would be an app for the Android or iPhone platforms, but I could also bring a netbook running Windows or Linux if that was required.

Thanks!

Kevin

PS - If an app doesn't yet exist and someone would like to write one, I'd be willing to pay a few dollars for it. Might be a way to make some extra cash.
Since there doesn't seem to be an offline app, is there a way to determine Q52/Q53 (FPP) from the flashcode without using an online decoder? That's what I'm really wanting to find out.

Thanks!

Kevin
kb1ojh
New User
What radios do you own?: HT 1250, XTS 2500, M1225

Post by kb1ojh »

kb9mqu wrote:Since there doesn't seem to be an offline app, is there a way to determine Q52/Q53 (FPP) from the flashcode without using an online decoder? That's what I'm really wanting to find out.
The flash codes are all bitwise operations. If memory serves they vary slightly based on the model but can be "decoded" by looking at them. Each position has four bits that are either on or off:
B1 - 1
B2 - 2
B3 - 4
B4 - 8

If the bit is on (meaning the feature is enabled) the number representing that bit is added to the digit. If the bit is off, the number is not added. So for example, on an XTS2500 / 5000 Q52 is digit 11, bit 2, so for Q52 to be enabled the 11th digit from the right not include the check (or the second digit from the left) has to include a 2. If Q52 is enabled, that digit must either be a 2, a 6, an A, a B, an E, or an F.

Q53 on the XTS 2500 / 5000 is digit 3 bit 1 (digit 3 is the third from the right, not include the check sum). So if the radio has Q53, digit 3 must be either a 1, a 3, a 5, a 9, a B, a D, or an F.

HTH,
-Matt

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”