VHFx2 in a 2002 Tacoma

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

coling223
New User

VHFx2 in a 2002 Tacoma

Post by coling223 »

Hey all,
I am in the beginning stages of planning out my radio install in my new truck. I had a CDM 1550 in my old Taco that was mounted in the DIN slot in the dash below the am/fm radio but some heavy dash modifications were required to fit the "fat head" of the radio where it swells out for the keypad, display and the speaker. In this new truck, I want to do things a little differently and go for the remote head- center console mount. There are 2 radios I will be installing- A VHF MCS2000 (110w) and a *don'thurtme* Kenwood VHF TK-7180 (50w). I will probably at some point fab up a box for these as well as a few switches for other "aftermarket equipment".
The question is: How can I make 2 radios that will both be primarily operating in the 150 range operate off of one NMO antenna on the roof? It can't really be as simple as a "tee" adapter can it? I'd rather not have to flip a switch to change between radios (if there even is such a thing) and the "combiner"? can't be outrageously expensive either. My biggest concern is that the 2 radios will toast each other by feeding through the same antenna.
Also, can anyone give me some sort of idea of how far apart (if at all) the 2 decks need to be from eachother? My thought is the 50w under the driver's seat and the 110w under the passenger seat (I would like to have kids some day).

Thanks in advance!
Colin
ka8ypy

Re: VHFx2 in a 2002 Tacoma

Post by ka8ypy »

Instead of building a box for the heads, look for used console (Havis Shield, Troy, Jotto, etc.).

The drawers can be mounted side by side.

Two VHF into one antenna? Not gonna happen without a switch (only one radio will receive at a time with a switch).

You might be able to get away with two antennas on the roof depending on regular cab, extended cab, etc.
tvsjr

Re: VHFx2 in a 2002 Tacoma

Post by tvsjr »

The mobile environment is always a compromise. I have 15 antennas in a 3x5 grid on a topper (6.5' long, 4.5' wide). The only thing I've ever taken out was the front end of a frequency counter (and yes, I do PM my equipment yearly and look for degradation of RX performance).

Put two quarter-wave antennas on the roof and call it good. I would try to avoid getting the two antennas spaced on a quarter-wave multiple...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”