Another ML900 GPS Question

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

aaronb23
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL2500

Another ML900 GPS Question

Post by aaronb23 »

I am attempting to get my GPS working on my ML900. When I go to the BIOS setup I see the option to turn on the GPS. The GPS is currently enabled however I cannot see it in the Device Manager and my GPS programs cannot locate it. Any suggestions?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Another ML900 GPS Question

Post by Pj »

I don't think it will show up there. Its usually data under COM2 or COM3 if it follows conventional logic on the Toughbooks and MW's. It would be a standard serial device.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Timeport
New User

Post by Timeport »

Pj wrote:I don't think it will show up there. Its usually data under COM2 or COM3 if it follows conventional logic on the Toughbooks and MW's. It would be a standard serial device.
Some ML900s have the GPS on port 5. COM3 is usually reserved for touchscreen.
free Motorola ML900 drivers: http://motorola-online.com/pages/motoro ... ged-laptop

Motorola ML910 spare parts (incl. HDD caddy): http://www.motorola-online.com/pages/mo ... overs-etc.

Please visit my Motorola collection at http://www.motorola-online.com.

OS on ML900s:
Win XP, SuSE Linux (internal HDD), Slax Linux (USB stick), Windows XP Embedded ( USB HDD inside), Win 7 Professional.

OS on ML910s:
Win XP and Windows 7 Ultimate
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

Ok i have been digging around on the internet for the passed couple of days but have had no luck! I have the same problem. ML900 1.7ghz version with factory installed gps its enabled in the bios but when i go to the SQ monitor to set it up COM5 is not there. Is there some driver im missing?

Thanks,
Conner
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What com ports are showing up in the device manager?

Jason
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

Com1, Com2, And Com6-18 say bluetooth communications port.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Something isn't adding up. The GPS should show up as another com port. I am guessing you have two normal com ports enabled in the bios (ie coms 1 and 2) or is the 2nd com port disabled and the gps is taking the position of com 2?

The other question is are you sure it has the GPS unit in it?

Jason
Pj

Post by Pj »

I am assuming your using an add-on bluetooth device?

If so, disable/remove the BT software for now...it tends to play havoc with windows and com 6-18 being used by BT sounds like too many options or whatnot was chosen during install. No way that there should really be that many BT comm ports.

Also if you have any GPS software or NMEA software splitters, close them out before running the trimble software. My guess (if the GPS hardware is present - the BIOS will show that option if its installed or not) is that the windows comm port assignments are fubar'd.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

Ok i have uninstalled the bluetooth drivers...they were the ones that came on the driver cd with the computer. i still dont see the gps listed in the device menu
Pj

Post by Pj »

The GPS will not be listed in the device menu. There is no device drvier for it...its just a serial device that spits out data.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Also have you verified that the unit does in fact have a GPS installed?
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

In the monitor i can only select com ports that are active in the device manager. I have not figured out how to verify if the GPS is installed. can someone walk me through that?
Pj

Post by Pj »

Take the cover off around the monitor hinges. If there are three little wires (aside for the monitor cable) there, you do not have GPS. If you have four, then you do. One is for the datatac antenna, two for wifi, one for GPS.

To verify bluetooth, take the cover off the side of the laptop that has the IR port. If there is an addon board present behind that cover, you have BT, if not, you don't.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”