TDA7256 Audio Amp for Spectra

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KI4LTX

TDA7256 Audio Amp for Spectra

Post by KI4LTX »

Does anyone know of a source for the TDA7256, the audio amplifier in the Spectra? I was given a VHF and a UHF mid power set, but the audio amplifier in the UHF unit is dead. Shows signs of obvious heat damage, as does the speaker wire that was associated with it. Looks as though a pinch in the wire grounded the audio output, melted the wire and took out the amplifier. (I have already replaced all electrolytics). Everything else seems to work fine.
Thanks,
John
AA4TX
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: TDA7256 Audio Amp for Spectra

Post by Wowbagger »

This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

Yes, I saw that before I posted. It seems as though there are / were two version of this chip. A 15 pin version and an 11 pin version. The spectra uses the 15 pin version. All I can find now is the 11 pin. I was hoping that there might be some old stock hanging around out there. It looks as though with a little pin bending, I may be able to use the 11 pin part. That would be a last resort though.

John
AA4TX
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

Just opened the VHF Spectra - it has a TDA7255 - also a 15 pin. Is it possible that the UHF has a TDA7255 mislabled as a TDA7256? This seems very strange. Anyone with experience with the audio section here?

John
AA4TX
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

The spectra uses a special TDA7256 made for Motorola, the P/N is the same as the industry standard.
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

Thank you for the information. Does anyone have any ideas on procuring a replacement for this device, or a work around?

John
AA4TX
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

According to this link on Repeater Builder you can use the TDA7255 in place of the 7256.
Will

Post by Will »

Astro Spectra wrote:According to this link on Repeater Builder you can use the TDA7255 in place of the 7256.
No not on the later command boards. The two chips are different and require different value components, caps, ect.

The correct IC IS available.
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

Could you let me know where I could buy one? None of my suppliers seem to have any idea.
John
AA4TX
xmo

Post by xmo »

"Could you let me know where I could buy one?"
-----------------------------------------------------

Other than from the Motorola parts department?
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

"Other than from the Motorola parts department?"

Yes, perhaps I am optimistic, but at their prices, I was hoping to find someone who might be willing to let it go for a bit less. Looking at the spec sheets for both, I know I can fit the commercial version with some pin bending and a few component value changes. Just thought I would try to find one at a resonable price before I went through this. This is, after all, a Spectra, and the only life prospects it has remaining is duty on the ham bands.
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Somebody on this board had a stock of them, awhile back. You might run a want ad in the ad section. I know what you mean, these radios are worth less than the chip from MOL. I would think there will be a bunch of very cheap parts grade Spectras showing up throughout the next few years, and you could just change the whole board. That's what I am waiting to do.
KI4LTX

Post by KI4LTX »

Not a bad idea. I am in no rush, but the board stares at me every time I go to do some other work on the bench. It would be a trivial job if I could get the parts!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”