Astro Saber HELP!

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gpz1980
New User

Astro Saber HELP!

Post by gpz1980 »

Good afternoon everyone!

I am currently trying to program a Motorola Astro Saber III and something that I have never seen before keeps popping up: Radio and Codeplug Are Different...

Oddly, I can read the radio just fine; I just can't write to it. Here's another oddity: if I read the radio and then immediately write back to it, without making a single change to the codeplug, I still get the same error.

This is a new radio for me. I own an Astro Saber III in VHF however, this most recent purchase is a UHF version of that same radio. So I do have experience programming, as I have made numerous changes to my VHF version over the years that I have owned it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Paul
Will

Re: Astro Saber HELP!

Post by Will »

Maybe the new radio requires later software. Some program with RSS, DOS software.
Others have to have the dreaded CPS.

I have seen some RIB/cable combinations not work on some radios.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Does the model, serial etc in the codeplug match what the radio actually is?
gpz1980
New User

Post by gpz1980 »

Hello!

Thank you for the replies.

I am currently using CPS, with a rib box and OEM cable.

The radio was recased prior to my buying it, so the tags are gone. Also, oddly, service mode won't work (5 presses of the : key). Therefore, all I have is the info displayed on CPS.

Thanks!

Paul
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I wonder if the radio is of one band, and the codeplug is for another, say, UHF 1 radio, and UHF 2 for the codeplug.
OR....VHF codeplug on a UHF radio or vice vesa....Something is amiss here...Even a codeplug mismatch should not indicate such an odd display.

I have to suspect band differences, hardware and codeplug software.
Can you check the firmware and validate the actual radio band along with the codeplug data?
gpz1980
New User

Post by gpz1980 »

Hello,

The firmware is for UHF S (450-512), and that matches the radio's band. The prior owner did do some out-of-band programming as I found a few 440mhz repeater stuff in there, but the radio itself is 450-512.

Thanks.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

Try correcting all of the out of band frequencies to frequencies within the proper bandsplit and see if that clears up the issue. If your CPS exe is not modded for the out of band frequencies maybe that's what's causing it to error out.
Joe - N6LAU
gpz1980
New User

Post by gpz1980 »

Thanks, but I had already tried down. I even stripped the codeplug down to just a handful of analog frequencies and nothing else. No signalling, no scanning, no nothing. Just 3 simple, analog frequencies, and I'm still having the same problem.

Return to “Radio Programming”