New APX2500 Mobile - UHF Band?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

New APX2500 Mobile - UHF Band?

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Has anyone heard if the new lower tier APX2500 mobile will be available in UHF? I am currently just seeing 700/800 and VHF, but I think when the APX line was initially launched, it was also missing UHF. Thanks for any help!
tvsjr

Re: New APX2500 Mobile - UHF Band?

Post by tvsjr »

Moto UK already lists the 2500 and says all ranges are available today:
http://www.motorola.com/Business/XU-EN/ ... os/APX2500
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

10-4 on the UK site, but I had seen that and it appears it may be screwed up. The specs area on that site shows all bands, but the actual PDF brochure dated 10-12-2012 on the same site just shows 700/800 and VHF. I seem to remember both the 7500 and 7000 were limited to these same 2 bands at the get go, so maybe UHF will pop up later. It looks like an excellent radio, and hopefully maybe it will be priced less than the XTL2500.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yeah it's definitely cool looking. Probably intended to replace with the XTL1500, but with the pimpin' display!

UHF has been a lower priority for Mother of late... a lot of the federal stuff is moving to VHF, and M has been pushing 700/800 for urban public safety and VHF for rural. UHF-R2 was the last bandsplit released for the 7000/7500.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Great points. Seems like UHF is really starting to fade out fast, other than some PD's that have gone to 700/800 have kept their UHF assigments for data. I wonder if the APX2500 will replace the XTL2500, and maybe there's hope for an APX1500 lower end box?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Judging by the uproar from large agencies in NY, LA, Chicago, Miami over Congress sticking their fingers in T Band, I don't see UHF going away any time soon.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

That's true, there are those large exceptions. But I think TVSJR is correct, too, in that the Feds are really moving fast and aggressively to the VHF P25 trunked IWN. The rural police depts and sheriff agencies are sticking with VHF, while the big cities are generally going to 700/800. Hard to say how long UHF will continue even in the other cities you mention, at least if someday Federal funding returns, and M talks the politicians into 700/800 P25.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

ASTROMODAT wrote:That's true, there are those large exceptions. But I think TVSJR is correct, too, in that the Feds are really moving fast and aggressively to the VHF P25 trunked IWN. The rural police depts and sheriff agencies are sticking with VHF, while the big cities are generally going to 700/800. Hard to say how long UHF will continue even in the other cities you mention, at least if someday Federal funding returns, and M talks the politicians into 700/800 P25.
I would have to highly disagree since IWN Trunk system is only in 2 place in the US. The norther Washington State area and the Washington, DC area. Not to mention that all funding for it has been cut and the office that ran it has been disbanded.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I think IWN is throughout WA state and Oregon state, plus WA DC and along the southern US borders (but border stuff might be conventional, I'm not sure). It is correct that the funding to expand IWN throughout the US was recently curtailed, but I assume that will get re-looked at, if this economy ever gets back on its feet. In the meantime, I believe the various federal agencis are certainly sticking with their VHF allocations, and converting to P25, but using conventional mode right now, if and until the IWN trunked project gets back on track.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

IIRC IWN is being deferred towards all the LTE BS and however that is going to be played out. As stated, UHF is alive and well, it just depends on your region. There is quite a bit of non-T band stuff in the northeast, Texas, California, blah blah. Could just be that engineering or production is just a tad easier than the other two...or as stated, a faster to market soultion with the VHF/800 stuff thats out there.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Yes, it is interesting that what M is doing with the APX2500 is the same thing they did with the initial launch of their top tier APX stuff---VHF/700-800 only. Must be where the biggest market demand resides for dual band.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”